Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: GM gasoline 8 cyl
Rated Cap: 29
Any thoughts on GMC C5500 gas engine

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6596658650023/

This bus seems like a good size... seller does not know exact engine, or transmission, but states Allison transmission.

Any advice on engines/transmissions that would be likely to be in it? Things to avoid?

Couple of hours away, but thinking of going to look in person.

Also, looks like it has the same type of fold-forward hood as bigger buses. Maybe that would make for easier repairs than a van cutaway?

Would service likely be available at any shop, or would it have to go to truck/bus repair service?

Old 04-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
If it's a gasser, than the 8.1 ("Modern" Big Block Chevy) is most likely. I don't know very much about them, but Chevy tends to make decent gas truck engines.

Transmission wise, probably at worst it has whatever transmission the 6.0l Chevy vans got which is perhaps undersized for the vehicle. At best it may have an Allision 1000. It's possible, though I doubt it's likeness given it's a gas engine, I know the diesels were offered with Allision 2000s or 3000s. Any Allision would be plenty adequate.

IIRC the spotting feature of the 1000 is a very small oil filter in front of the pan. If it lacks an electronic push button shifter pad and does not have that small filter, and the pan only has bolts around its edge, then it's not going to be an Allision of any kind. The 1000 may use a mechanic shift linkage.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: GM gasoline 8 cyl
Rated Cap: 29
Got the seller to send pic of engine label. Still can’t figure out how to post the pic if I just have it on my phone... but it does say GM 8.1 L catalyst.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:26 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
These were used a lot here in the oil fields 8.1 Chevy with the Allison 1000. The weak link was the hydraulic brakes. They had a lot of caliper problems. The Duramax was also used in these too. Same brake problems. As far as getting work done most shops familiar with a GMC pick up can work on them.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8 window, c5500, gmc