Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 Propane
Rated Cap: 54
Anybody have an opinion on FiTech TBI's

Howdy folks:

In an efforts to convert my 1997 GMC 366 cid propane skoolie into a gasser I've
searched high and low for a Rochester TBI that would do the job... Alas, I've had no luck
( to be perfectly honest, though, I really haven't been looking that long ), but I did come
across an after market TBI that looks fairly interesting: the FiTech TBI, Located at
FiTech Fuel Injection

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge with/about these TBI's on Big Block
Chevies like the 366 or 427.

Thanks

NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what about something like this..

Trans Dapt Carburetor to TBI Conversion Adapter Plates | JEGS

then you can use various different TBI's.. you are going to need to install quite a few sensors and such to make TBI work correctly.. but most likely you are well aware of the stuff you need.. I used a 4 BBL to TBI plate on a 454 years ago and it seemed OK.. though I always felt like TBI didnt flow well enough for my application.. the 366 has many similarities to the 454 but also many differences.. some of the TBI's fit right into 2 barrel carb spots.. perhaps a 454 TBI throttle body would fit in the 366?

for the ECM theres many choices from OEM with chips all the way up to Holley made (and priced) products..

I used holley pro-jection years ago.. i also did a project with megasquirtm the learning curve to get up to speed was steep but it did work very well..
MS Pro Controllers | MegaSquirt

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
what about something like this..

Trans Dapt Carburetor to TBI Conversion Adapter Plates | JEGS

then you can use various different TBI's.. you are going to need to install quite a few sensors and such to make TBI work correctly.. but most likely you are well aware of the stuff you need.. I used a 4 BBL to TBI plate on a 454 years ago and it seemed OK.. though I always felt like TBI didnt flow well enough for my application.. the 366 has many similarities to the 454 but also many differences.. some of the TBI's fit right into 2 barrel carb spots.. perhaps a 454 TBI throttle body would fit in the 366?

for the ECM theres many choices from OEM with chips all the way up to Holley made (and priced) products..

I used holley pro-jection years ago.. i also did a project with megasquirtm the learning curve to get up to speed was steep but it did work very well..
MS Pro Controllers | MegaSquirt

-Christopher
Thanks for your reply Chris.
As far as I understand using the TBI from another Big Block like a 427 or a 454 is not a
problem, so long as you flash the controller chip with the right file, you're good to go.
My only problem with that is finding a Big Block to salvage the TBI and other required
parts from ( the search is on going ). Another possibility might be to use the TBI
system from a Small Block Chevy, but I not sure if it can be done and nobody else
seems to know if it's doable either. Finding a salvageable Big Block might be hard, but
finding a donor Small Block would be much easier.
The FiTech TBI system looks to be a reasonable alternative since GM decided to stop
producing the Rochester TBI.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
I've installed a couple of them. One on a 502 in a 67 Chevelle + another on a Buick 455. The pluses: Fairly easy to install. Simple wiring-standard race car plumbing.
Its 90% ready to go out of the box.
Its easy to make changes-has many things you can change. (Most you won't end up needing.)
You can use the display to be a tach=or A/F gauge.
It self adjusts (to a degree) and runs nice+ smooth.
The minus: I could never get them to start + idle without a tap of the gas pedal when starting. I wanted to reach in thru the window + hit the key + have it start + idle 100% of the time. I could never get them to do that consistantly unless I cranked up the manual idle screw + opened the throttle plate a bit. And then it would want to idle at 1000. I would go back + forth between adjusting that + programmed idle speed-and never getting that "F.I. super smooth idle."

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36 View Post
I've installed a couple of them. One on a 502 in a 67 Chevelle + another on a Buick 455. The pluses: Fairly easy to install. Simple wiring-standard race car plumbing.
Its 90% ready to go out of the box.
Its easy to make changes-has many things you can change. (Most you won't end up needing.)
You can use the display to be a tach=or A/F gauge.
It self adjusts (to a degree) and runs nice+ smooth.
The minus: I could never get them to start + idle without a tap of the gas pedal when starting. I wanted to reach in thru the window + hit the key + have it start + idle 100% of the time. I could never get them to do that consistantly unless I cranked up the manual idle screw + opened the throttle plate a bit. And then it would want to idle at 1000. I would go back + forth between adjusting that + programmed idle speed-and never getting that "F.I. super smooth idle."
Thanks sdwarf36:
My big concern is fuel consumption and reliability and from what I understand I would
be best served by getting into a TBI system. I don't know how well the FiTech TBI
compares to the old Rochester system, but it looks to be a nicely self contained,
easy to install system. If the biggest downside is having to tap the gas pedal at
start-up, I think I can deal with that.

Thanks for the information.