Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 06:22 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd definitely be interested in an 8.1/1000 GMC shorty.

almost had my hands on a 6 window bluebird 8.1 / 2500 with A/C..

they arent easy to find, there werent that many.. only at the end of GMC's school bus chassis tenure.. most of the later GMC CV200 Bluebirds were 454's, which arent bad.. bit the 454 doesnt have that bad-ass 8.1 rumble..

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:26 AM   #22
Bus Geek

as for the 1000, ive been running mine 3 years now.. cranked up the power on my Bus engine, installed a 6 speed 1000 built by Suncoast in florida, that bad boy Hauls ass and the trans never cracks a sweat..

I have the tuner that will tune an 8.1, was one of the reasons i wanted to get my hands on that shorty.. I wanted to make a Hotrod out of it.. its destined to be a party bus, however I kept track of the guy if Covid keeps his party bus business from getting off the ground..........
Old 06-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #23

Look it up on autozone vin.Just google it.
jmakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
as for the 1000, ive been running mine 3 years now.. cranked up the power on my Bus engine, installed a 6 speed 1000 built by Suncoast in florida, that bad boy Hauls ass and the trans never cracks a sweat..

I have the tuner that will tune an 8.1, was one of the reasons i wanted to get my hands on that shorty.. I wanted to make a Hotrod out of it.. its destined to be a party bus, however I kept track of the guy if Covid keeps his party bus business from getting off the ground..........
Off track but that would mean the driver would need a CDL or at least a Chauffeur's licence/endorsement and the bus itself would need Commercial Use Bus registration and Insurance right? That would be thousand$$$ annually right?

Just curious -- my bus (if I ever get it there will strictly be a non-commercial pleasure craft...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #25

The 8.1 is 496 cubic inch not 502. They use a lot of them for irrigation engines. I have two of them In GM one tons and had no problems. No problems with the Allison 1000 either. Mine are both rated at 340 HP and have a LOT of torque. I could pull my bus faster with my GMC than it would pull itself with it's 5.9. I would say go for it.
panhapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
My 2005 Chevrolet diesel had the Allison 1000. towed like a dream and was super reliable. If it does have the allison 1000 that is good. If you are not travelling thousands of miles a year then the 8.1 would be good. Good luck.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
It has a locking torque converter unlike the slip-o-matic 545. SO it has engine braking when descending steep hills. It also doesn't cause excess heat to be built up from the slipping at highway speeds so the engine runs cooler. OD is overdrive. That means it has a top gear higher (numerically lower) than 1:1. Meaning that in top gear the engine is spinning as fast so better mpg's and less engine heat.

Thank you, really appreciate you sharing. Very helpful!!!

I noticed the engine braking. I also noticed that when I take my foot off the gas it does not slow down. Scary at first but I'm learning to appreciate.

Unfortunately it doesn't have OD. At 60 mph the RPM's are around 3300.

Anyone know any good youtube channels for this motor and tranny? Also looking for manuals?
nomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Off track but that would mean the driver would need a CDL or at least a Chauffeur's licence/endorsement and the bus itself would need Commercial Use Bus registration and Insurance right? That would be thousand$$$ annually right?

Just curious -- my bus (if I ever get it there will strictly be a non-commercial pleasure craft...

missed this one, yeah using a bus as a party bus means it carries full DOT regs.. if he seats it for over 15 then it needs a CDL to operate commercially..

in Ohio the CDL rule is whether you run it for commerce or not.. if you have it and dont use it for anything but personal use..

ie you and a bunch of friends get together and go to dinner or the park or such then its non commercial.. no different than when you say "i'll drive our posse out for dinner tonight"..

but if there is an event and the event organizers say "hey can we use you and your bus to shuttle people back and forth from the parking lot to the event".. now you are operating 'commercial' even if you dont take a dime of compensation.. its an organized event providing bus service for its patrons (customers)..