Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Best $$ and quality 6.0 engine

Looking at a 2006 Chevy Express 3500 bluebird 5 window bus with a gas 6.0 engine. The body is surprisingly tight for a "Salt Belt" bus.
The seller is unsure why it doesn't run, and is ready to unload it for $500.00!
Worse case scenario it needs an engine. Not sure it actually does, but have to be prepared for that if it goes in that direction.
Hopefully it's only a failed sensor or something simple, but its a pig in a poke at the moment.
I'm trying to get my finances figured out before pulling the trigger on this bus. For $500.00 I don't think I'm taking too much of a risk, as I could get most if not all back in parting and or scrapping it out...?

Anyhoo, who has the best $$ deal out there for quality reman 6.0 engines?
Any help is appreciated!

peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I think that if you have the ability to fix or change the engine, you should go for it
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E 7.3L
These engines are pretty bullet proof. I suspect a simple fix and even if not it's worth it at that price.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
one thing to watch out for in a cut off is labour costs - I just had a motor go out on an older 24' class C motor home - it's in decent condition, no leaks, everything is working like it should, although I didn't have occasion to try the AC - I was able to line up what seemed to be a good replacement 350cui for $500, but when it came time to get someone to to do the R&R, it was either a refusal to take it on, or prices that ranged between $2000 and $3000 because of the difficulty the cramped spaces presented
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Thanks guys.
In a previous life I would not have hesitated to R&R any piece/component of the drivetrain that failed.
Today I'm relegated to watching and paying someone to do my dirty work.

I found a rebuilt on rock auto for $2300. for the complete long block.
That seems to be the best deal so far...
Old 03-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
don't buy the engine before you buy the bus and have it checked
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
don't buy the engine before you buy the bus and have it checked
Nope, won't be doing that!
All I'm looking for is where the best priced engines are sold, just in case it's needed...
Old 03-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
These engines are pretty bullet proof. I suspect a simple fix and even if not it's worth it at that price.
I would tend to agree, I have had the 6.0 in several Chevy vans and box trucks over the years and I have found it to be very reliable. Look out for the obvious issues, but if it isn't seized/will turn over, I bet you can get it going. Like you said, for $500 you will get that back in scrap and selling parts easily if you want to.

I would be weary of the engine swap, your going to dump way more than this thing is worth into it if you go that route. Your going to have at least $2500 into the new engine, before labor which will probably double that figure. Is this thing worth $5500? I doubt it. Lots of good shortys out there for a lot less than that, you just have to look way beyond our neck of the woods.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...55&acctid=1581

Here is a perfect example, auction ends today and its not a far drive from NH at all.
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Changing engines in a van is a pain in the ass. I'd avoid it if that's what needs to be done.

The 6.0 engine is pretty reliable. If it sounds good cranking it over when trying to start, that's a good indicator that the problem is electronic in nature and not mechanical.

I'm not sure what to make of you saying you have to get your finances together to buy a $500 bus. If you don't have 500 bucks to lose on something like this perhaps it's not worth the gamble. Scrap isn't worth what it used to be a few years ago.

As far as engines go, don't just look at best price. Find something quality with a good warranty and reputation. There are boat loads of places that rebuild engines. Some are better then others.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yes, van engine swaps are horrendous. Avoid at all costs.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Changing engines in a van is a pain in the ass. I'd avoid it if that's what needs to be done.

The 6.0 engine is pretty reliable. If it sounds good cranking it over when trying to start, that's a good indicator that the problem is electronic in nature and not mechanical.

I'm not sure what to make of you saying you have to get your finances together to buy a $500 bus. If you don't have 500 bucks to lose on something like this perhaps it's not worth the gamble. Scrap isn't worth what it used to be a few years ago.
Thanks for the advice above. It turns over ok, but doesn't fire up. It has the correct oil level in the pan, so it doesn't appear to have had a major mechanical meltdown or any catastrophic internal grenading.
I haven't tried ether or done any further troubleshooting where it is, as I'm in a wheelchair and I was without my right hand man when I looked at it.

On finances, I'm not worried about the buy money. It's the unexpected added costs of having to potentially replace the engine, or other drivetrain components due to not being able to "test drive" this unit.

As Willie said, the engine change costs would likely be more than the bus is worth, and another running bus could be had for less $$ overall.

I'm still inclined to take the gamble at $500., depending on the added tow cost to get it "home". I'm going to take a more in depth look at it next week, and should be making a buy/no buy decision in the near future.
to all who've responded, for the advice...