Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2021, 05:48 PM   #1

Bus making strange noises

I drive and live in a ‘98 Chevy P30 Bluebird school bus with a 6.5 diesel engine and it has been making some disturbing noises lately. Some crackling in the front part of the bus when going from 10-20mph between 1-2k rmps. Mostly making the noises going uphill. Last night it starting vibrating strongly while it idles and it would stop when I hit the brake. Also recently while driving down freeways the gas pedal would press down on its own around 50mph which was alarming.

if this is a transmission issue would I need to get the whole thing rebuilt or can I get away with swapping certain components? I’m around Portland, OR and definitely on a budget.

spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
does not sound like a transmission issue yet?
do you have the chevy/gm hydro boost brake and power steering system?
when was the last time you checked your brake fluid?
if the hydro boost system then the power steering and brake system are connected together and use the same fluid.
just things to look at but if you hear crackling noises then the damage is already done.
check brake fluid level?
sounds like it is low and the power steering pump is eating itself and when you push the brake pedal that is always sqwishy feeling with hydro boost is feeding fluid to the power steering which quiets it up.
but means you are low on fluid.
just my thoughts?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
does not sound like a transmission issue yet?
do you have the chevy/gm hydro boost brake and power steering system?
when was the last time you checked your brake fluid?
if the hydro boost system then the power steering and brake system are connected together and use the same fluid.
just things to look at but if you hear crackling noises then the damage is already done.
check brake fluid level?
sounds like it is low and the power steering pump is eating itself and when you push the brake pedal that is always sqwishy feeling with hydro boost is feeding fluid to the power steering which quiets it up.
but means you are low on fluid.
just my thoughts?
I’m not sure if it’s the hydro boost system. I just checked the fluids and the brake fluid is about %65 full but the power steering fluid is pretty low. I wonder if that could be the cause?
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

either way your fluids need to be topped off.
with out knowing what you have i just assumed the hydro boost system since a step on the brake pedal would shut the noise up?
regular fluid maintenance is required for anything mechanical.
when was your last oil change or tranny fluid change?
power steering fluid and brake fluid change is easy to keep up with until you have a leak to find oil and tranny get forgotten about alot of times.
still dont know your exact motor or power steering pump or tranny combo so its hard to say exactly whats going on?
Old 08-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #5
Bus Geek

it is very likely you have the chevy/gm hydro boost system so research it and wrap your head around it before you take it to a mechanic.
at least you will understand where your money is going if you cant fix it yourself.
the 6.5 diesel you have is the same thing? learn it. then you know when to call BS on the shop even if you caint do the work yourself.
google has helped me more with specific problems for a vehicle more than the specific manual for that vehicle manual from haynes? in the day chiltons was the best and now owned buy haynes ? now you get a haynes manuel with the chiltons name?
worthless?
Old 08-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
As a retired mechanic certified in brakes I wouldn't recommend topping or filling the brake fluid reservoir.

When the disk calipers are compressed while installing new pads all that fluid is going to go all over the engine bay. If you have all drums brakes (very unlikely unless you're running something from the 70's or older) low fluid is an indication of problems (leaking seals being the most likely).

Unless there is a leak there is sufficient fluid to operate the brakes until the pads or shoes are sufficiently worn to need replacement.

Low brake fluid level calls for immediate inspection for leaks and pad/shoe condition.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote