Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2022, 05:09 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bus won't accept fuel

Hey Guys,
Hope someone has a clue about what's going on with my bus I have a 2000 GMC 6.9l Thomas Built shorty.
Great bus with low miles BUT I can't get it to accept fuel. If I fuel really slowly (like 20 minutes per gallon) I can get some fuel in. Otherwise fuel just backs up and runs down the outside of the bus. I have run out of gas in the past thinking tank was full. Obviously, fuel gage unreliable. Bus is fine mechanically and I'm ready to get on the road but gotta solve this first. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Mamassecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:35 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamassecret View Post
Hey Guys,
Hope someone has a clue about what's going on with my bus I have a 2000 GMC 6.9l Thomas Built shorty.
Great bus with low miles BUT I can't get it to accept fuel. If I fuel really slowly (like 20 minutes per gallon) I can get some fuel in. Otherwise fuel just backs up and runs down the outside of the bus. I have run out of gas in the past thinking tank was full. Obviously, fuel gage unreliable. Bus is fine mechanically and I'm ready to get on the road but gotta solve this first. Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Go underneath the bus and check to see if your fuel inlet hose is kinked. There should be a second skinnnier hose next to it. That is a vent hose. Check that one too. If it does nor vent while filling the big hose will get blocked by the air trying to leave the tank.
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:58 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Freightlinner
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 5 window
Make sure the key is off, so the vent valve is open. You need vapors to escape when filling. There is also a limiting valve built into the tank, I have not seen issues with this valve. If the charcoal canister is restricted, this can be the issue.

Make sure the fumes can be released thru the canister to allow fuel to enter the tank.
gotjuice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
The OP also asked me this question on our YouTube channel and, based on what was described, I am pretty sure that the fill tube is either kinked or plugged...perhaps by some malicious trash disposal...I picture some kid's empty chip back in there? I did mention the vent, but based on what she's describing it sounds like a more serious blockage than back pressure from a venting issue.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:15 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks. We will try it.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:17 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for your input. We are on it.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:24 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Maybe the anti siphon valve is stuck in the tank? I had this happen to me in my van.

Jonathan
Old 01-13-2022, 08:51 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Hey Guys,
Thanks

What kind of fuel, gas or diesel (I don't know what a GMC 6.9l is)? How do you know that it needs fuel? I have no experience with diesel, but I have bad fuel pumps and clogged fuel filters make it seem like I was out of fuel on gassers in the past.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:07 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
So many bogus potential causes mentioned....WOW

Charcoal canister? yeah.....NOT

Most likely issue is kinked or blocked (chip bag?) fill tube or hose OR..... a vent hose that has a low spot in it that is full of fuel and thus doesn't allow venting.

The vent tube blocked won't PREVENT fuel from flowing to the tank but it will dramatically slow down how much can get in.

A flashlight, wire probe, and visual inspection should be all that's needed to determine for sure what's wrong.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
2000 gmc shorty.
if it is a cutaway savana/express then a collapsed hose is a definite possibility.
on my 04 3500 express the fuel tank is in the middle between the frame rails and the fill tube is kind of sandwiched between the top of the frame rail and the bus body which egg shapes it to begin with.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:45 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Added fuel conditioner to my car and didn't take the foil covered paper protector off, just poked it with a key and poured it in the tank.

Didn't notice it had come off while pouring it in the tank, and when I went to fill up the tank it did exactly what you are describing!
The anti siphon valve was stuck from the debris coming off the fuel additive bottle, preventing full flow of fuel into the tank.

Have you or anyone you know put additive in the tank lately?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:56 PM   #12
Bus Geek

we still dont know exactly what fuel system they have.
the stated 6.9 was actually an international/ford motor that didnt make it into the year 2000.
if it diesel then it is a 6.5
if it is gas its an early version 6.0 ls
fuel type decides the safeties built into it and yes even including the tank fill
Old 01-14-2022, 02:12 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Those rescue cold weather diesel fuel additives have the foil protector on them too so it can be either fuel type, potentially.

If I had to guess, she most likely has the gas 6.0 engine option.

I feel embarrassed admitting something like that on the www, but if it helps someone else in diagnosing an issue, it was worth the embarrassment!
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:16 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
we still dont know exactly what fuel system they have.
the stated 6.9 was actually an international/ford motor that didnt make it into the year 2000.
if it diesel then it is a 6.5
if it is gas its an early version 6.0 ls
fuel type decides the safeties built into it and yes even including the tank fill
We also don't know if she is adding fuel at a gas station on level ground or from a gas can on level ground and if using a gas can is she pouring or using a pump (does the pump have a auto shut off?). How can you get a gas pump at a gas station to allow you 20 minutes to put in a gallon of fuel? The built in fuel shutoff and timers won't allow that kind of fueling but a gas can will.

The people replying have been making all kinds of assumptions and the op has not been forth coming with answers to questions. My bs meter was going off, which was the reason for my first post with questions. Waste of time.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:25 PM   #15
Bus Geek

yes they do and i wasnt trying to balk on you.
yes over my many years of mechanic work i have done some stupid stuff more from being in a hurry or getting distracted or pulled away before finishing a specific task.
it happens.
i have a motor i rebuilt 6-7 years ago that has a flat head screw driver bit in the oil pan
from not having a long enough screw driver to turn the oil pump rod to set a new distributor.
only reason i didnt take it out of the truck and tear the hole thing back apart is because i heard it hit the oil pan.
thought no way i got that lucky?
put a magnet on the oil pan and i can move it around but for the life of me i cant get it out of the drain hole.
sorry long story short?
not all fuel tanks have the anti siphon valve.
i have learned alot from my own mistakes over the years and only remember some of them when i get into that situation again?
Old 01-26-2022, 08:58 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Hey guys!
Thanks everyone for all your input. I was busy trying to find someone to work on my 2000 GMC Savana Thomas Built 6.5 liter diesel (yes, she is indeed a diesel). Here in coastal North Carolina where I live diesel mechanics are a rare commodity. I took the bus in and the technician removed the filler neck and cleaned all vents. I went to fuel right away and though no overflow onto her beautiful paint job I got the click indicating she was full after about 1/4 gallon. I waited a minute until fuel went down and then continued to pump. Improved yes. Solved no. But it's better. Thanks again guys. This is an awesome community!
Old 01-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Hey guys!
Thanks everyone for all your input. I was busy trying to find someone to work on my 2000 GMC Savana Thomas Built 6.5 liter diesel (yes, she is indeed a diesel). Here in coastal North Carolina where I live diesel mechanics are a rare commodity. I took the bus in and the technician removed the filler neck and cleaned all vents. I went to fuel right away and though no overflow onto her beautiful paint job I got the click indicating she was full after about 1/4 gallon. I waited a minute until fuel went down and then continued to pump. Improved yes. Solved no. But it's better. Thanks again guys. This is an awesome community!
I used to have a tow truck that had a similar problem. It was in the way the fill hose and vent hose was run. It kind a simulated a "P" trap and when fueling to fast it would stop or "click" itself off.

Make sure your fill hose and especially vent hose run and as straight/VERTICAL as possible and avoid any sharp bends or kinks..

You do not need a diesel mechanic for this, get under the bus and take a look at how it is ran.
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hi Mamassecret and thanks for the update. So many new members post about a problem, get suggestions, and then never come back to report what happened. We all appreciate it when we find out the results...good or bad...so thanks!

There are two different possible issues we're talking about here. One is that the fuel won't actually go into the fill tube and runs out the opening. That's usually a blockage or kink in the fill tube...or, maybe...a tank vent clog. But I think the vent clog wasn't your issue, because the tank will still accept fuel with a clogged vent...it will just do so more slowly. The fill pipe is generally about 2-inches in diameter (maybe 1 3/4 ID) and the diesel nozzle is about an inch, so there's room around the nozzle for air to vent back through the fill pipe.

The second issue is the auto-shutoff nozzle clicking off before the tank is full and this is actually pretty common on some buses. I've found that some of the buses I've driven require holding the nozzle in a position so that the nozzle pipe is parallel with the fill pipe and placed along the bottom of that fill pipe. If you just hang the hose, it pulls the nozzle to angle upward and that puts the nozzle pipe in a position where it blocks more of the fill pipe's internal area. I hope that makes sense... The auto-shutoff feature operates based on back pressure from the fill pipe, so the more room you can leave for air to escape around the nozzle the less likely the auto-shutoff is to activate prematurely.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:14 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Hey guys!
i live in swansboro (coastal carolina) and the best local mobile diesel mechanics from raleigh down to wilmington and my area is ADVANCED Maitenance dont know what they charge for mobile service but thats who i go to for DOT inspections.
let me know if you need a number for them