Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2019, 06:20 AM   #1

Chevy Bus not Starting

Hey Everyone,
I wanted to post this to help me and/others with a common problem.
I have a 2008 Chevy Express Bus 3500 V8 6.0 Liter Gas Engine.
I bought it almost 8 months ago in the winter and it always started up with no problems. As soon as it started to get warmer , the bus would start intermittently. There has been a few times where the bus would not start at all. We replaced the starter , checked battery, alternator and everything is in Good Condition. I changed out the Ground Wires and the bus starts now 95% of the time but I still need to play with the wires sometimes. I am getting random engine codes and I have no turn signals in the back. I am replacing the fuse box and the positive cables as well and hopefully that will solve the issue. I will update this post when it’s done. If anyone has had this problem before, please feel free to comment.
Thank You

MABus87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
2008 Chevy Express Recalls

There is a category specifically in electrical that mentions stalling while driving, which sounds suspiciously similar.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
I have had a problem like this before,not in a bus though. It turned out to be a bad ignition switch. When it does not start does it do anything? Click from the starter or crank and not start or nothing? Also, when it does not start is there 12 volts at the starter from the start side of the ignition switch ? As for random engine codes, find the ECU and unplug it squirt some contact cleaner in the plug and cycle it in and out a few times. Check grondsthat you can find any wher and service them. Turn signals, get out your meter and again check the grounds on the light.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABus87 View Post
Hey Everyone,
I wanted to post this to help me and/others with a common problem.
I have a 2008 Chevy Express Bus 3500 V8 6.0 Liter Gas Engine.
I bought it almost 8 months ago in the winter and it always started up with no problems. As soon as it started to get warmer , the bus would start intermittently. There has been a few times where the bus would not start at all. We replaced the starter , checked battery, alternator and everything is in Good Condition. I changed out the Ground Wires and the bus starts now 95% of the time but I still need to play with the wires sometimes. I am getting random engine codes and I have no turn signals in the back. I am replacing the fuse box and the positive cables as well and hopefully that will solve the issue. I will update this post when it’s done. If anyone has had this problem before, please feel free to comment.
Thank You
Also have you checked/reseated/ or replaced the engine starter relay? Another point of failure is the neutral safety switch allthough this is not common.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Here is a link to the ignition starter switch. This is another point of failure to investigate. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1177&jsn=1177
Old 08-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Engine: 6.0L 366 Chevy Big Block
Rated Cap: 47
I had similar issue and it turned out being the ignition switch was giving me weird issues .
arod79sae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy express, electrical problems, not starting