Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 03:23 PM   #41

Year: TBD
Coachwork: TBD
Chassis: TBD
Engine: TBD
Rated Cap: TBD
The first thing that comes to mind is a gear change in the rear differential. But that is just a flatland bandaid as it may increase top speed a little it will probably slow you down on the hills. Being naturally aspirated and operated on a mountain I'm thinking you've got all you are ever gonna get.

allupinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #42
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by allupinc View Post
The first thing that comes to mind is a gear change in the rear differential. But that is just a flatland bandaid as it may increase top speed a little it will probably slow you down on the hills. Being naturally aspirated and operated on a mountain I'm thinking you've got all you are ever gonna get.
A gear change will help for highway. Will only make it slower on hills, the 8.2 Detroit only has 165 hp. As I stated earlier, a 454 big-block Chevy swap with a few minor upgrades is the best route for the budget stated.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:40 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Back in the day. A lot of 8.2's were swapped with 3208t cats, but they're still only 215 hp or so, and aren't really any more common then a 8.2 is now a days. You could swap in a t444e and gain a little more part availability, but you still would be limited by 230 or so HP.
Any swap to an inline 6 would not likely fit, as it would require a dog house on the inside that you would have to source or build.
You would likely run into a couple problems with any inline they would be governed at 2400 RPM and would likely not fit and would not be able to spun your rear gear set at the RPM required

I have seen the 8.2 mated to a MT 643My inclination would be to go to the 3208.
The Turbo 3208 will give you 250HP
And the Turbo after cooled 3308 will give you 300HP. My suggestion would be to be looking for a running take out and preferably the engine/trans together The 8.2 and 3208 were the engines of choice in that era and could be found in most anything. Both were considered "throw away" engines as they are parent bore.
(No liners). The mounting of either engine should be pretty close. As well remanufactured 3208's will likely have liners Another option you might consider but will be pricey would be an Aluminum block Detroit 6V53TA.....they are capable of producing incredible power. Being two strokes (both power) they can handle their own against 4 strokes with 30% more displacement
Sorry for your problem but it is not unusual and points to one of the shortcomings of the "Schoolie" as a platform.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #44
Traveling

I wonder if a modern 10-speed manual Eaton-Fuller swap with an axle regear would help this situation? If the bus is air brake already, it has an air supply to control the splitter(s). Probably can't be done for OP's stated budget though.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
A gear change will help for highway. Will only make it slower on hills, the 8.2 Detroit only has 165 hp. As I stated earlier, a 454 big-block Chevy swap with a few minor upgrades is the best route for the budget stated.
not trying to grease a pig but my 8.2 was 175HP and with a governor spring change i am up to 200HP and for the fuel pincher that is pushing it.
if you want more speed from an 8.2 na then dont throw money in the motor because it is what it is.
i could change transmissions and get a little more and i can change rear gears and tire size just to squeak every little amount out of it just to maybe go from 49-59.
that was my calculations to keep towing and hill climbing ability a few years ago.
i will run it at its happy speed until i kill it or the tranny which isnt likely very soon because they are both maintained and perform flawlessly when i need them but if either one goes or is acting like it wants to and after i finish my wifes bus and get it on the road. then its on for the family camper where the children are grown and doing there own thing.
so now the big bus is mine.
thinking of the same motor but turbo and am thinking of the 8.3 swap,7.3.5.9 all of them can be built but as i get the time and money i want a V8 rat rod style and for the build my wife always said that i overbuild and the next person is gonna hate you but this time when i get things opened up again i might cuss but it will be internal because i can remember and explain to myself what i did why i did at that time.
i really dont want to change the inside because of memories but the 8.2na and 545 tranny is going away and i want something strong enough to keep/run the 6.5 rear gear and do 60 when i want it.
PROBABLY TO MUCH FROM ME
SORRY
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:00 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Then go for a nice 3208TA at 300 horse.
A running take out with the transmission. Will be as close as you get to a drop in.
And they can be found at a reasonable price. And don't let what is said scare you about the 3208. I have a couple of them. And they have been very very solid. Their peak output horse is at 2800 RPM.
Use Straight weight 40..helps bearings and Cams. Do not over rev for sustained periods. They like so spin bearings and throw rods. That's where I'd go in the "problem" you face.
The engines you suggest will require a new trans and gear changes.
If you can find a 3208TA and a 5 speed Spicer or Eaton Fuller or even a 10 speed go for it and never look back...but attempting to work with what you have and expect an improvement in performance u/is a fools mission. Reconcile yourself to what you have and what it can and can't do or make the change. Simple.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:33 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
29,000lbs seems really high for that size of bus. If it really does weigh that much it needs to be on a diet. I expect that is gross weight not actual as well.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #48
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
29,000lbs seems really high for that size of bus. If it really does weigh that much it needs to be on a diet. I expect that is gross weight not actual as well.
I questioned this earlier as well, OP was confusing GVWR with curb weight, which is approximately 11k, as they say from an actual weigh.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:02 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Have you actually run this over a scale with water and fuel tanks full since the conversion?
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Just replace this engine/tranny combo, if your finances allows it. The best part would be being proud of your work, and to have a unique rig. You'll hit some issues of course, but resolving them one at a time is part of the fun. You can find NEW engines for $6k or less, a new tranny for $1k, and you're good for hundreds of thousands miles going up your mountain cruising around 60mph.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:16 AM   #51
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
You would likely run into a couple problems with any inline they would be governed at 2400 RPM and would likely not fit and would not be able to spun your rear gear set at the RPM required
That's correct. But that can be solved by a governor swap and the tweaking of a few valve body screws. So long as he has an mt643. I wouldn't put an at545 behind anything that makes more then 200 or so HP, or any inline 6 engine.

You'll have to regear it after an inline 6 swap, but he'll need a regear to hit 70 anyways because he's already gear bound to 55-60 mph with the current setup.

Truth be told, if 70 mph cruising speed and pulling big grades fast was what he was after, he should have ponied up a few more bucks and bought a better optioned bus. But that statement is like slamming the barn door after the horse has already run out.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #52
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Best thing to do is to buy a donor vehicle equipped with what you're after.

Finding an engine/trans combo is good, but I've found them to be more expensive then a complete vehicle. Plus the complete vehicle could very easily give you the axle ratio upgrade you're after too.

But none of this is going to be done in a 1-2k dollar budget. The only thing I've seen thusfar would be cheesewagon's 454 motorhome swap, but I feel even that would leave you desiring more.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #53
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
FWIW my shorty IH weighs 14180 pounds, 25,500 GVWR. I have the T444e and 5-speed Spicer with air brakes.

Ultimately to make OP's bus better suited for their wishes a repower is in order but while we have the 8.2 out, why bother with insufficient gas engines? And let's face it, no GM 1-ton truck transmission is going to last much time in a 17,000 pound+ school bus. So why not move to something *MUCH* beefier like an M11 Cummins cranked up to 400 HP? If that's not your thing, a 60-series Detroit nearing 500 HP? Maybe an ISX is your preference at 575 HP? Maybe you'll prefer a Cat engine? Scavenge one from a wrecked 18-wheeler and get the associated trans while you're at it.

LMAO !!!
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
Then go for a nice 3208TA at 300 horse.
A running take out with the transmission. Will be as close as you get to a drop in.
And they can be found at a reasonable price. And don't let what is said scare you about the 3208. I have a couple of them. And they have been very very solid. Their peak output horse is at 2800 RPM.
Use Straight weight 40..helps bearings and Cams. Do not over rev for sustained periods. They like so spin bearings and throw rods. That's where I'd go in the "problem" you face.
The engines you suggest will require a new trans and gear changes.
If you can find a 3208TA and a 5 speed Spicer or Eaton Fuller or even a 10 speed go for it and never look back...but attempting to work with what you have and expect an improvement in performance u/is a fools mission. Reconcile yourself to what you have and what it can and can't do or make the change. Simple.
i understand this and am ready and willing when it gets its my attention again.
i didnt know any better and didnt even know this forum existed at the time.
it runs like a sewing machine and cranks everytime. the family camper barely moves anymore so its on hold until my wifes shorty is on the road and gone.
then its play time for me.
OP accept what you have for now and plan/budget or even have a replacement ready but the 8.2 is never gonna give you more.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, differential, engine, slow, transmission