Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward Volunteer
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366 V8 (6.0 L)
Rated Cap: 71
Eaton 19050S gear ratio??

I have been curious since I purchased my bus of what to expect for gas mileage. On a whim, I looked recently today to find out what I have for rear end gears. I found out that my differential is an Eaton 19050S, but the information that I am probably looking for to find the gear ratio seems to elude me. The tag I found the model number does not seem to have the information regarding the gearing. Then again, I honestly have no clue what I am looking for and a Google search (and a search here) has left me fruitless for information.

I was hoping someone here may have more information regarding what I am looking for and perhaps how to get it... where to look... so on and so forth. I know the bus is geared fairly well for the highway, as I have driven it at 75 mph with a tiny bit more room for the accelerator to be flat to the floor.

Thanks again beforehand.
Beau

Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

gear ratio

The best information is to check your rear axle. To determine the ratio is very simple. Block front and rear wheels. Raise one side at rear of bus. If bus has air brakes, start engine and release park brakes. Stop engine. Make a visible mark on drive line and also mark raised wheel with arrow pointing at earth. Turn raised wheel one revolution while counting drive line turns. A high number of drive line turns is a low ratio as 8:35- 1. Few drive line turns means a high ratio as 3:23-1. Most folks are looking for a compromise ratio as 373 or 355-1. To have and use the high ratios, the power train must make good horsepower as at least 300HP. Another option is an overdrive unit connected between trans and rear axle. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: Eaton 19050S gear ratio??

If your bus can do 75 with pedal leftover.......... I don't think I'd be looking for a change.
Most skoolie buses are nowhere near the 75 mph mark. Just be thankful you got whatever you got under it........

After doing a Google search (Eaton 19050S gear Ratio) I found the links listed below. From what I can figure out it looks to be a 3.70 single speed ........
It's the only one that said anything about school buses that I could see. Yoy might do a more in depth search and find some additional info. The only sure way to tell you is to count the teeth....
Best of luck in your search..

http://www.worldamerican.com/Catalogs/h ... 5040S2.pdf

http://www.heavytruckparts.net/search.p ... el=19050-S

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAs ... bly=841595
Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the help and info guys.

I looked all over and only found one tag I could get information from, of which I got the model number and make of the differential. I was hoping to find the magic number I was looking for right in my face.

I have a feeling that this motor is going to stay within the single digits for gas mileage. I essentially have an empty bus right now... but in the future when it is loaded down with weight it will be a different story. Although... having such relatively nice highway gears and these tall tires should help lower my overall fuel consumption.

The ability to have the highway speeds that I do seems to be a blessing. I read a lot of threads on speeds topped out in the 55-65 MPH range. I don't know if I could handle being topped out on the highway and only going 55. Yet, I highly doubt I am going to do much cruising at 75 either and will more than likely keep it within a more comfortable 65 range.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Bus Nut

If you can get the TAG number on the rear end I think we would be able to figure it out........

http://www.heavytruckparts.net/search.p ... el=19050-S

far left has tag number at top, and center has the gear ratio for that tag number......

BOL
Old 10-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

OK. Finally found the tag I needed. It was covered under years of hardened road grime and resin but was able to "lotto ticket" scratch some numbers out of it. This is what I was able to get from a long time slowly etching to the metal:

Model# 19050S

Part# 121764

Ratio 6.50

The numbers leave me dumfounded. The gearing ratio does not sound right for the speeds I get. I don't get a great acceleration, but I blamed that from what I have heard and read about the motor. I don't have a tachometer so I don't have any clue what RPM's I am using while driving either... so I don't know what to think now.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #7
Bus Geek

You might want to get a tach...even a cheap one wll let you know if youv'e been lucky so far not over reving it...would hate to see the bottom end come apart
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

Jack it up and do what frank-id said. Turn the wheel one time by hand and the driveshaft will spin 6 and a half times if you still have 6.50s. The ring and pinion could have been changed.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60
I would wonder if your speedometer is correct. I would be singing happy days if I could get 10 m.p.g. and leave the gears alone. If you want more m.p.g. you should be look'n a diesel powered bus. Perhaps Intertrashnal or a cummings. Good luck!!!!
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote