Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Express 3500
Engine: 6.5TD
Going over a 6.5L Turbo Diesel

I recently purchased my first bus, a 2000 Chevy G3500 with a 6.5L diesel. The bus only has 53,000 miles and ran like a top on the drive home (approximately 60 miles). It seems like there is not much love here for these motors, but that's what I have to work with. With such low mileage, I'm hoping it wont give me too many issues for the first few years, maybe I will look into a swap down the road. In the meantime, I am looking for some tips to keep the engine in top shape and prolong its life.

Injector Driver Module will be relocated ASAP. My buddy had one of these motors in his K3500 and this was a constant issue with his before relocating it. Any recommendations on aftermarket kits? Should I go with factory?

Any good resources for 6.5L specific forums or guides?

What are the things to check for or watch out for?

MadMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:23 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 78 passenger
These guys go over a few things to watch out for, along with a common mod or two (PMD relocation?). A few responses into the thread, someone goes through good and bad things regarding this engine. Most other responses love it or hate it.

I drove a light duty wrecker about 15 years ago that had one. That truck was a monster compared to my 6.2 non-turbo GMC Jimmy. With modern diesels, neither of those engines would be a contender for any awards, but at the time, they were what was available.

Good luck with it!

Is the 6.5l a good engine? - Diesel Bombers
Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Express 3500
Engine: 6.5TD
Thanks! I just read through it and I also found a good source over at Diesel Place

There is a huge 6.5L FAQ that you can find by clicking here.
MadMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 6.5L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaverick View Post
I recently purchased my first bus, a 2000 Chevy G3500 with a 6.5L diesel. The bus only has 53,000 miles and ran like a top on the drive home (approximately 60 miles). It seems like there is not much love here for these motors, but that's what I have to work with. With such low mileage, I'm hoping it wont give me too many issues for the first few years, maybe I will look into a swap down the road. In the meantime, I am looking for some tips to keep the engine in top shape and prolong its life.

Injector Driver Module will be relocated ASAP. My buddy had one of these motors in his K3500 and this was a constant issue with his before relocating it. Any recommendations on aftermarket kits? Should I go with factory?

Any good resources for 6.5L specific forums or guides?

What are the things to check for or watch out for?
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but if you don't mind me asking, how much did you give for your bus when you bought it?
zelseman is offline   Reply With Quote