Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #1

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy p30
Engine: Chevy 350 v8
Rated Cap: 22?
Hard to find parts for my skoolie

Hey everyone! I am looking for someones help. I have a 93 carpenter cadet short bus skoolie i am needing a few parts for. Ive been searching for awhile with no luck. I am in need of a shifter cable and a headlight bucket. She just has a chevy small block (350 v so i figured the shift cable would be a common and easy part to locate. I was wrong lol.. I was hoping someone would see this that also has a cadet and share info on where to find parts for these things? If i cant find parts i may be forced into swapping my short bus for just another boring class c rv

Greywolf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Chevy p30 shift cable?
https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/.../chevrolet/p30
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/oem-che...ift_cable.html
https://www.millsupply.com/stepvan-p...-transmission/
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
A P30 step van shift cable may be different than a P30 motorhome shift cable. If so, the P30 bus, from appearances, would likely have the step van arrangement, as it is basically the same body. Even though it is the same chassis and running gear, the shifter arrangement could be different from one to the other. May make a difference as to transmission as well. TH400s, TH475s, TH700R4s are all likely candidates and could have different shifter / cable arrangements.

That being said, you don't see P30 buses much anymore, I don't think they built many of them... You might try looking for junked StepVan delivery trucks. There were a ton of those built... They were quite popular for snack and other vendor deliveries. This chassis eventually became called the Workhorse, and it is still in use to this day. UPS' home delivery route trucks are essentially a modified P-series / Workhorse. USPS still uses some of these as well. But you will likely need to find one about the same year, and most certainly with the same shifter / transmission arrangement.

Also, this one being a 1993 raises the question, is it a 700-R4 4-speed auto? If so, perhaps some more specifics might help determine the true nature of your problem. You see, the 700-R4 has a cable operated throttle valve to control line pressure, thereby controlling shifting. It has led some to think they have a bad shift cable, when it is actually a bad throttle valve cable.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
A P30 step van shift cable may be different than a P30 motorhome shift cable. If so, the P30 bus, from appearances, would likely have the step van arrangement, as it is basically the same body. Even though it is the same chassis and running gear, the shifter arrangement could be different from one to the other. May make a difference as to transmission as well. TH400s, TH475s, TH700R4s are all likely candidates and could have different shifter / cable arrangements.

That being said, you don't see P30 buses much anymore, I don't think they built many of them... You might try looking for junked StepVan delivery trucks. There were a ton of those built... They were quite popular for snack and other vendor deliveries. This chassis eventually became called the Workhorse, and it is still in use to this day. UPS' home delivery route trucks are essentially a modified P-series / Workhorse. USPS still uses some of these as well. But you will likely need to find one about the same year, and most certainly with the same shifter / transmission arrangement.

Also, this one being a 1993 raises the question, is it a 700-R4 4-speed auto? If so, perhaps some more specifics might help determine the true nature of your problem. You see, the 700-R4 has a cable operated throttle valve to control line pressure, thereby controlling shifting. It has led some to think they have a bad shift cable, when it is actually a bad throttle valve cable.
I'm pretty sure the 2nd link is for 93-96 models.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #5

I have taken her to the shop a few times to get other issues fixed. They have both have said that they disconnectted the cable from both the trans and the shifter itself. They both move freely so they said it definitely needs a new cable. I do work at a local napa parts store and i called the local chevy dealership and gave them the VIN.. They did come up with a delco part # but they said it is obsolete. I have found new cables online from various place for a p30 step van but i wasnt sure if it would be the same for a bus body or not. And im not sure what trans shes got but i think it does have overdrive (5 speed)
Old 08-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm pretty sure the 2nd link is for 93-96 models.
Not taking offense, but not quite sure what you're getting at? Unless you mean that link shows a part number that is current for this model? I kinda think the parts person the OP spoke with may not have dug deep enough to find superseding part numbers... It does show different part numbers for motorhome applications vs delivery / step van though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf666 View Post
I have taken her to the shop a few times to get other issues fixed. They have both have said that they disconnectted the cable from both the trans and the shifter itself. They both move freely so they said it definitely needs a new cable. I do work at a local napa parts store and i called the local chevy dealership and gave them the VIN.. They did come up with a delco part # but they said it is obsolete. I have found new cables online from various place for a p30 step van but i wasnt sure if it would be the same for a bus body or not. And im not sure what trans shes got but i think it does have overdrive (5 speed)
Sounds like a 700-R4 to me. This is essentially a 3-speed automatic with an overdrive (4th), and lockup torque converter (will seem like a 5th gear). These were later re-designated 4L60 for a short while before being re-designated again as a 4L60E, signifying the beginning of full electronic control, eliminating the throttle valve / cable arrangement.

Anyway, most Delco parts are obsolete, most cease production after 10-12 years. Any parts store should be able to cross-reference the Delco part number you were given to find an aftermarket equivalent.

If you look at a P-series bus body and compare it to a P-series StepVan, you'll see they really are quite similar. Chances are, a lot of the basics are going to be the same.

It's possible your shift cable isn't broken, but possibly sticking. You might try spraying some WD-40 or Liquid Wrench in the shift cable casing to see if it frees up, unless the shop can show you where it's broken. You might try Summit Racing, Lokar makes a number of aftermarket solutions for shifters, cables and such.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #7

Thanks for all the info. No offense taken here. I admit im no mechanic lol. I learn as i go. Ive contacted several local parts stores ans none of them can cross the obsolete part number. I havw found cables online through ebay and rockauto but the listing says fits 93 chevy p30. May just have to go out on a limb and order it and hope it fits. I think i may try to wd40 the cable first to see if that may work. Ive already put quite a bit of money in it so what the heck lol.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Try one from autozone or advance and if it doesn't fit return it.
Take off the old one to compare if need be.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #9

That probably would be my best bet. Or maybe i could get a universal cable to work.. Then with the headlight mounting bucket, ive been told that a bucket from a early to mid 70s gm truck is the same thing. All i can do is try

Tags
carpenter cadet, headlight mount, shift cable