Old 05-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #1

Identify Motor and Transmission

I bought a 83 BlueBird for 100 drove it home. It is governed at 60mph. Is there a way to identify the motor and transmission buy the vin?Thank You in advance. I tried looking this up in the search but to no avail.
WyldemanofWyldewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
looking under the hood best way.. you can get the motor from the VIN but not the trans.. you can take pictures of engine and trans.. if its auto and an allison, they often put stickers on the dashboard that showed how to operate the trans.. and it had the model.. .. otherwise the trans will have a metal tag on the side. (clean it off with brake cleaner) and wipe it clean it usually has the model number.. otherwise pics of the transmissionb and engine help.. the engines all had tags originally at some point too..

if its a stick then the gearshift knob is often a help as to what manual trans is in it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
There will be a data plate on the engine valve cover somewhere, picture of the engine would help, how fast was the engine running at 60 mph, it is most likely geared to run 60 max
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Most from that era will likely be a 4 speed Spicer manual with a granny low. There were a few automatics running around back then, but not many. It's been my experience that the manufacturer of the incomplete chassis the bus was built on would have been able to tell you just about anything about the chassis and running gear from the incomplete chassis VIN, however, 1983 goes beyond what most are able to look up these days. Most usually can't look up anything older than about 10 to 15 years back.

As for the engine, CK is right. Another way of identifying the engine in lieu of a tag (some go missing over the years) is casting numbers on engine block, intake manifold or heads.

Most skoolies built back then were nothing more than incomplete Class 7 truck chassis outfitted by the coach work company, and most back then were gassers. With the exception of the Detroit 8.2 diesel, most chassis manufacturers of the time used their own gas V-8s. A good start in getting some help here would be to mention whether this is a Ford, Chevy, International, etc. (Ford Bx00, Chevy Cx0, International Sxx00). Many of the buses from this era will still have the badge on the cowl. Knowing some of the basics will help in finding where to look for identifying information.

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 64-pass Blue Bird (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #5

Pardon my incompleteness

1983 Bus 1GBM6F185DV110838 MANUFACTURED AT "Carter Chev Agency INC Okarche Ok.

Its an automatic and shifted well and the way home. primed it new battery and busted off second try. idles really well. When you put into gear kinda hits hard. Had to close off one air can because of leak. Needs new 3030 brake can. other than ware and tare its in real good shape. All but 4 seats are out. I'm in my 60's and couldn't pass up the deal. If i don't do a build i can use it for storage. I would love to do a build and roof raise as i see its very easy to do. BTW it is a gasser. 71 passenger.
WyldemanofWyldewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
A gas engine from that era's probably gonna be a V-8 but even the I-6's should have the makers name embossed on the valve cover's if you can't find a badge anywhere else and can't post a pic of the engine...

Otherwise, it's kinda like asking "how long's a piece of rope?"

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
1GBM6F185DV110838 comes back through one source as the following. My guess is a Chevrolet C60 chassis, likely to be a 366 gas V8. Auto trans likely an Allison AT545. Was also available with the 8.2 Detroit diesel.
20200506_111630.jpg

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 64-pass Blue Bird (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote