Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #1

Mechanic in Portland?

Hello Everyone!

I live in Portland, Oregon and my 97 bluebird has been sitting for about a year. The battery is dead so it is not starting, but I am looking to take it to a mechanic and get the battery charged, tires rotated, fuels changed, oil changed, breaks checked, etc. I want to get all this done because I am planning to sell it and have it ready for the buyer to be able to drive off the property immediately. Does anyone know what the best option would be? Would any mechanic work? Are there people who specialize in skoolies/rv's? Anyone living in Portland have any recommendations?

Any guidance would help!

Thank you!

anneelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Hello anneelizabeth,

Maybe I can help shed some light.... any medium/heavy duty mechanic can handle what you are looking for. The fluid change, brake inspection, etc is not an issue. We've even used the big truck stops for "Preventive Maintenance services." Costs about $200-$250 bucks for an oil change and chassis lube. My opinion is I would not worry about a tire rotation. That is not really very common, especially if you have not been putting big miles on the bus.
The battery issue is a bummer. We were in the Tualatin area a few years back and had the same issue... battery was dead after sitting for about 6 months. I went down to the local Napa and bought a new 8d battery. $200 bucks out the door. You'll save some serious money if you can do this portion yourself.
The fuel usually lasts quite awhile... is the tank full? You will spend a fair amount of money if you are wanting someone to drain the tank and fill it with fresh diesel. I'd say just get it running with a new battery and fill it up 100% asap. The fuel filters will do most of the work. You should be just fine.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.

Good luck.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote