Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2022, 02:26 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Conversion in Los Angeles area

Hi does anybody know a place or a person that is I can reach out to that does conversions in the Los Angeles area?

Vaneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:40 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

What do tou guys do for ac. Im guessinf if it did come with factory air its not going to work. I wondered a portable ac on an inverter while driving but im guessing thats not going to put but a dent in it in 110 degree heat we have. Then again that qould last but half a day of the trip
Desertsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsparky View Post
What do tou guys do for ac. Im guessinf if it did come with factory air its not going to work. I wondered a portable ac on an inverter while driving but im guessing thats not going to put but a dent in it in 110 degree heat we have. Then again that qould last but half a day of the trip
There is enough space under the hood on most buses for you to figure out a way to add a belt, or reroute a serpentine belt, and mount an auto AC compressor and install the rest of a basic system, if you're willing to learn and do the hacking. Could always call and consult with an auto AC guy if you're not very sure.
Albatross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:56 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
for A/C, you likely want 2 types of A/C unless you are planning to drive in only cool or nice weather where you dont mind havign the windows open..

you will want Parked A/C for when you camp.. there are a myriad of options foir that.. from minisplits to window A/C's through a back window to camper units.. portable single Hose A/C's are worthless.. portable 2 Hose A/C's are a step better but still tough to cool anything outside of a bus parked at night.. and pretty much 100% worthless for driving..

if you turn your bus into a cave.. super-insualted floors, walls, roof and probably only a few windows (read that as dark inside) then you might be able to get away with staying halfway cool on the road in a rear engine rig by running your parked A/C if you have one up front blowing on you..

onto Road A/C.. if your bus comes with factory A/C and it doesnt work, you are still likely miles (and 1000s) ahead of a non A/C bus.. if you are well insualting your bus, chances are you can delete one of the road A/C systems and still do just fine on the road.. this means a whole extra set of parts to make one good one out of 2 broken ones... rarely do the condensors and evaporators fail (unless you buy a rust belt bus).. the most often failures are condensor fans (easy to replace with new SPAL fans available everywhere).. , compressors fail.. for a few hundred bucks you can get a brand new one, learn how to flush the system, put it on and then you just have to have someone or a shop vac and charge.. and sometimes the lines rub against something, chaff and then leak.. there are lineset splice / repair / fittings kits widely available..

adding A/C gets a LOT tougher.. if you get lucky you may find someone removing their systems and giving or selling them cheap (they arent worth much $$ used). and you can pick them up and retrofit to your bus.. otherwise you need to build one.. compressor brackets being usually the toughest part... a simple underdash aftermarket car A/C wont begin to cool the driver cab of a bus on a hot summer day.. esp a front engine bus..

I installed custom dash A/C in one of my busses and am doing so as we speak on another.. it was costly and a lot of work (but its 74 inside driving through texas in july so worth it..)...

if A/C on the highway is a priority the BEST bet is to buy a bus which has it already even if it doesnt work....

for reference if you were to take a non A/C bus to a shop like thermoking and asked then to install a dual A/C system like would come from the factory on a new full-length bus you would have 12-15k in it.....

me personally? I refuse to go back to 1949 on the highway so I add A/C (or fix it) on every bus I get...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:33 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

We have found another contender. I did a post in general but its is not getting any responses. it is a '99 international 3800 blue bird 7 window with dt466e unknown trans. Great service record, tires, inspection etc but has 161k miles.

it is pushing the boundaries on being to small but I think we can make it work. My concern is cost of maintenance/repairs. However they have sent me the mechanics inspection etc so I'm confident I could drive this home and use it for a year or two before it would need anything mechanical based on what I've seen.
Desertsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:45 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsparky View Post
We have found another contender. I did a post in general but its is not getting any responses. it is a '99 international 3800 blue bird 7 window with dt466e unknown trans. Great service record, tires, inspection etc but has 161k miles.

it is pushing the boundaries on being to small but I think we can make it work. My concern is cost of maintenance/repairs. However they have sent me the mechanics inspection etc so I'm confident I could drive this home and use it for a year or two before it would need anything mechanical based on what I've seen.
Sounds worlds better than a gasser thats sat 9 years.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote