Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2022, 01:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New to busses.

We are looking to purchase a bus. Our leading contender right now is a 1994 bluebird. It is a 9 window bus sporting a chevrolet 366 and an allison 545 with 93k miles. The kicker is it has been sitting for 9 years. Asking price $5k. It is about 3 hours away and the guy is out of town for about two weeks. Im trying to get an idea what I would be in for. Im guessing all 6 tires, hoses and fluids. He says it runs great but it doesnt sound like much has been done and 0bviously i have not seen it yet. Seems like the engine/trans isnt everyones favorite but I dont see any major complaints either. Give me tips what I should be looking at as far as neglected items sitting that long. Ive driven a few larger box trucks so it doesnt scare me. The unknown condition from sitting does though.

Edit: it is already registered as an rv so thay saves a ton of hasle.

Desertsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:34 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
where is it and where is it from originally?
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:59 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsparky View Post
We are looking to purchase a bus. Our leading contender right now is a 1994 bluebird. It is a 9 window bus sporting a chevrolet 366 and an allison 545 with 93k miles. The kicker is it has been sitting for 9 years. Asking price $5k. It is about 3 hours away and the guy is out of town for about two weeks. Im trying to get an idea what I would be in for. Im guessing all 6 tires, hoses and fluids. He says it runs great but it doesnt sound like much has been done and 0bviously i have not seen it yet. Seems like the engine/trans isnt everyones favorite but I dont see any major complaints either. Give me tips what I should be looking at as far as neglected items sitting that long. Ive driven a few larger box trucks so it doesnt scare me. The unknown condition from sitting does though.

Edit: it is already registered as an rv so thay saves a ton of hasle.
Sitting 9 years…yikes!!
Let’s see, dry rotted hoses, tires, seals ( engine, tranny, axle), rust???

A lot to look at for sure!
You don’t provide much info about the bus so based on the info you provided, I would be looking for a better rig. 366 engine=miserable fuel mileage. 545 tranny spe@ks for itself.
Tires… you’ll spend a good chunk of money for tires!

For 5 grand I”m quite sure you can find a a nice bus, one that hasn’t sit for 9 years!

Don’t get stuck on 3 hours away or already titled as an RV.

Try searching auction sites yet?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:28 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchy View Post
where is it and where is it from originally?
I believe AZ its whole life
Old 04-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Sitting 9 years…yikes!!
Let’s see, dry rotted hoses, tires, seals ( engine, tranny, axle), rust???

A lot to look at for sure!
You don’t provide much info about the bus so based on the info you provided, I would be looking for a better rig. 366 engine=miserable fuel mileage. 545 tranny spe@ks for itself.
Tires… you’ll spend a good chunk of money for tires!

For 5 grand I”m quite sure you can find a a nice bus, one that hasn’t sit for 9 years!

Don’t get stuck on 3 hours away or already titled as an RV.

Try searching auction sites yet?
Unfortunatly I dont know a lot other than the facebook add and several messages back and forth. Im also limited to max 35' length to fit in my yard. The other possible option is a 35' bus with a cat 3126 with 212k miles on it. Im concerned with the potential cost of diesel repairs.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:02 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
If you don't plan on any long trips the 366 should work. If you want to stretch your legs out and see the world then I'd pass. Sitting for 9 years another reason to pass. My bus had a souped up 427 and it just wasn't cutting the cheese so I swapped to a diesel and great transmission and am very pleased.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

The main idea is to take summer trips from AZ to MI plus smaller weekend trips.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

This the other one. Also looks like it will need tires as well

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/d/glendale-2004-blue-bird-vision-13window/7470025876.html
Old 04-24-2022, 03:31 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Our leading contender right now is a 1994 bluebird. It is a 9 window bus sporting a chevrolet 366 and an allison 545 with 93k miles.
I had an 84 GMC 35' Bluebird setup as a party bus with that same drive train. The 366 is fairly bulletproof, you may need to replace the exhaust manifold gasket and replace the plugs and wires. The AT545 isn't ideal but pretty standard. It'll run ok if treated well with fresh transynd fluid and kept topped up. Everything on that motor is pretty easy to get at for repairs. Ours ate through alternators like no tomorrow. The stereo may have been oversized in that party bus, lol (not my design I inherited it when I bought the company). I got to the point I could swap out an alternator in 20 minutes on it.

You may have better luck with a 94 than I did with the 84 but there weren't any digital records for parts numbers so locating parts was a bit of a pain. Sometimes Autozone or O'reillys system for a GMC TopKick with the 366 matched and sometimes that was a part that Bluebird had changed.

If you're not planning on driving this thing much it'll be fine. Perfect for local getaway weekends. But if you want a road trip bus and want to go faster than 55mph I'd keep looking. Our bus topped out at 64mph going down hill with a tailwind. There were some hills in the Mississippi Valley region of Iowa near the river it couldn't take without a running start. I wouldn't even attempt a mountain grade with it.

-Kevin

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180825_084357.jpg   IMG_20190912_163000.jpg  
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 03:45 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

What kind of fuel mileage are we talking? He says it has a tbi which im sure helps but you guys are starting to scare me haha. I wouldnt be expecting a racecar but the main goal would be az to mi trips so it would hard to not cross the rockies no matter how you go
Old 04-24-2022, 03:56 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
427 with carburator was 5 MPG, worse if I wanted to push it, gettin almost 10 now with the diesel, even better if Joan drives.
Another thing that you may not realize, those gas engines put out copious amount of heat, that's why the radiator is the size of a kitchen table. After a long trip you couldn't walk on the floor barefoot it was so hot (I like to drive barefoot). I opened the dog house once while going down the road and the headers were red hot about 8" out from the head. Like an airplane you are running at 90% power while motivating down the road. The diesel is so much cooler, the floor is just warm now, not blazing hot.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:18 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
What kind of fuel mileage are we talking? He says it has a tbi which im sure helps but you guys are starting to scare me haha. I wouldnt be expecting a racecar but the main goal would be az to mi trips so it would hard to not cross the rockies no matter how you go
The speedo/odometer in our bus was dead. That was a lesson in itself for me, the 84 had a mechanical speed sensor in the transmission, not electronic. Never could find a replacement and finally just wired a GPS-based speedometer onto the dash. Based on the parties we drove in and how much fuel we burned Id guess we got about 3-4 mpg before we replaced the plugs and wires and about 5 after that (all City driving)

Some other things we had to do to that bus over the years which, not meaning to scare you on these as any bus may need them, but things to look for:
New Master cylinder for brakes
Brake pads and rotors
Tighten parking brake cable
Reseal wheel seals

Based on what you're describing for road trips I would pass on this bus if it were me.

-Kevin
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

This is a dognose so that would help the heat inside...
Old 04-24-2022, 06:25 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
The speedo/odometer in our bus was dead. That was a lesson in itself for me, the 84 had a mechanical speed sensor in the transmission, not electronic. Never could find a replacement and finally just wired a GPS-based speedometer onto the dash. Based on the parties we drove in and how much fuel we burned Id guess we got about 3-4 mpg before we replaced the plugs and wires and about 5 after that (all City driving)

Some other things we had to do to that bus over the years which, not meaning to scare you on these as any bus may need them, but things to look for:
New Master cylinder for brakes
Brake pads and rotors
Tighten parking brake cable
Reseal wheel seals

Based on what you're describing for road trips I would pass on this bus if it were me.

-Kevin
Im assuming Im going to need to be comfortable doing some mid size truck bearings etc at home. I do appreciate the info though. No all I have to do is make up my own mind! No easy task haha
Old 04-25-2022, 06:19 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
The main idea is to take summer trips from AZ to MI plus smaller weekend trips.
From your data the bus only got driven about 5K miles a year. Barely broken in. Most of us would die for that low mileage on our rigs.

For me, the age of the bus is more of a concern than how long it sat. At some point these older buses are not exactly a joy to drive.

For those who are waving him off from this bus, what specifically will go wrong when the bus sits for an extended period of time, other than battery and tires?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:47 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
From your data the bus only got driven about 5K miles a year. Barely broken in. Most of us would die for that low mileage on our rigs.

For me, the age of the bus is more of a concern than how long it sat. At some point these older buses are not exactly a joy to drive.

For those who are waving him off from this bus, what specifically will go wrong when the bus sits for an extended period of time, other than battery and tires?
Im torn between enjoying the unusual and being 41 and wanting comfort haha
Old 04-26-2022, 08:06 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Unfortunatly I dont know a lot other than the facebook add and several messages back and forth. Im also limited to max 35' length to fit in my yard. The other possible option is a 35' bus with a cat 3126 with 212k miles on it. Im concerned with the potential cost of diesel repairs.
Here the thing about cost of repairs, learn how to to as much as you can and not only will you learn how to save money but you will also gain knowledge and experience so that when something does go wrong, and it will, at the most inconvenient time you will know how to proceed.

I, like many others here, bought two of my busses thru public surplus.
Here the link -> https://publicsurplus.com/sms/browse/cataucs?catid=402

One thing to keep in mind, anything newer than 2007 will have undesired emissions equipment.

Finding the right bus, that in itself is part of this journey. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:43 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Well, it's a machine that is designed to be moved/moving. There are lots of mechanical parts that are intended to be in motion, and lubed. Without being ran and/or moved, gravity will have its toll, and it's possible that you could find parts that are no longer round (extreme cases) or parts that have succumbed to oxidation (rust/corrosion) from having lube sprayed on them like it was designed to be. Many of these would not be obvious or apparent, and would require a complete tear-down to discover, as well as probably precision measuring equipment.

And that's without delving into all the electrical gremlins you're likely to discover because of oxidation issues.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:13 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
This is a dognose so that would help the heat inside...

ha!! the only thing that helps the heat inside a bus is A/C, and LOTS OF IT!!

I have one of my A/C vents blowing into the footwell on my diesel DT360 bus and after ive completely redone the chassis to body seal, doghouse seal, dynamatted and insulated the floors,new grommets where wires and pipes and cables go through the firewall, now i can close that footwell vent 1/2 way and still be comfortable on most summer days..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:14 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
also AZ to michigan is quite a ride.. and most routes take you over big hills.. the worst thing to do to an AT545 is traverse big mountains in summer heat....
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote