Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: GMC B7 T042
Engine: GM 454 7.4L Gas
Rated Cap: 66pas
Power Steering - 2000 GM B7 - 454 engine

disclaimer - I'm fairly inexperienced with mechanical repairs but trying to learn.

I have a bad leak in my power steering hose/fitting from the reservoir to the pump which i am trying to replace. It is the blue hose in the pictures which has a swivel elbow joint at either end - the leak is coming from the lower swivel joint where there is a black plastic sleeve. It is indicated as part #1 on the GM parts diagram

I am not too sure where to start with fixing this - I have not even been able to dissasemble the hose (which appears to be all 1 piece with the 2x elbows). Loosening the hex head (on part 22 on diagram) where it meets the pump doesnt help - it is still fixed. Does is come apart with a clip fitting at the swivel? The swivel elbows seem quite unneccesary and actually allow the hose to rub on the chassis causing wear. I am open to replacing with something fixed.

Hoping someone can help with suggesting how i should move forward with this - how to dissasemble or where to get a replacement part - people have suggested going to a hydraulic hose & fitting shop and just getting something custom made up?

GM parts diagram link: https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...ct=2704627#001
Attached Thumbnails
20200804_204702.jpg   20200804_204647.jpg   20200804_204650.jpg   Capture.JPG  

the.brum.bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I would cut the hose where needed to remove the 2 swivel ends and take it all in to a hose making place and get something made the way you want it. It's been a long time since I have had a hose made, but I was surprised how much cheaper it was that I expected.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Not to derail concerns about your power steering hose joint, but as an even greener newb, would you mind telling me how you figured out the hose was leaking? I recently bought a 2000 Chevy Express short bus and upon driving it home noticed that the steering is alarmingly unresponsive. From ignorance, I'm wondering if it might be a "simple" fix such as yours.
alsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
I would cut the hose where needed to remove the 2 swivel ends and take it all in to a hose making place and get something made the way you want it. It's been a long time since I have had a hose made, but I was surprised how much cheaper it was that I expected.
Yep a custom hose sounds like the way to go... Just need to work out how to disassemble this without breaking anything! I've had a mechanically minded friend (currently swapping a Cummins 5.9 into a Bronco camper) look at it and he gave up on taking it apart
Old 08-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsquared View Post
Not to derail concerns about your power steering hose joint, but as an even greener newb, would you mind telling me how you figured out the hose was leaking? I recently bought a 2000 Chevy Express short bus and upon driving it home noticed that the steering is alarmingly unresponsive. From ignorance, I'm wondering if it might be a "simple" fix such as yours.
Check for drips on the ground after parked for a while. Monitor the power steering fluid levels in the reservoir to see if it's low or dropping. If leaking follow all the lines coming from the reservoir and connected in the system with a paper towel to find where the fluid is leaking from
Old 08-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

But is the steering experience I describe consistent with a loss of power steering fluid and not some more disastrous mechanical failure? I ask just because it's not physically hard to steer, just "laggy" so to speak?
(And thank you again so much.)
alsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Can't help you there... I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to mechanics!
Old 08-25-2020, 03:39 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsquared View Post
But is the steering experience I describe consistent with a loss of power steering fluid and not some more disastrous mechanical failure? I ask just because it's not physically hard to steer, just "laggy" so to speak?
(And thank you again so much.)
how are the brakes?
look up chevy hydro boost system troubleshooting and start there.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:01 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
BRUM.BUS.
what year model is your bus?
where is the line leaking at?
it looks like a fairly simple replacement to me but i have years of mechanics experience and just spent the weekend doing the toughest one i have ever done in 27 years. but anyway.
depends on where its leaking really decides the fix.
the elbow (22) at the pump definetly looks pressed but the end of the hose at the fluid resorvoir on the firewall looks more like a form of a compression style unscreweable nut.
never mind i was looking at the diagram and not your pictures.
both end of the hose are/were held on by hose clamps.
take a pair of channellock/water pump pliers and try to twist the hose loose at the connection. if it doesnt budge then take a razor knife and cut the hose length wise over the connection to free it up.
if it is leaking close to a connection then you might be able to cut it there and shorten it up with out having to buy a new hose which could help with its rubbing.
if the threads are leaking at the threads of the elbow at the pump it looks like you still have to pull the hose there to be able to uncrew the elbow.
some of those threaded elbows used a teflon seal ring over the threads to seal them.
but year model will give us more info. about what you have.
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote