Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Thomas Minotour battery drain

Hello all,

I’m having problems with battery drain. I did a little poking around and found LED 5 on fuse block 2 lit up with the bus completely off and closed up. When I open the passenger door, the LED gets brighter. I always thought that LEDs are binary, either on or off, but that’s what I’m seeing. The legend on the fuse cabinet says that LED means the door is open. I found the switch in the manual door opener lever case and unplugged it, but the light is still glowing half-bright.

I know that it’s a pretty rare event that someone else experiences the same short to ground, but who knows? If you’ve had this problem before, please let me know and if you figured out the problem, that would be even better!

Thanks!

Danjo

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Can you pull the fuse that controls the LED?
If so, then check around to find out what isn't working?

Had a Jaguar with a similar parasitic draw that killed my battery in short order and long story short, I was able to pull fuses until the problem was discovered. Turned out to be faulty seat heater.

Good luck on finding your "issue"...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:00 AM   #3

Danjo, did you ever find a source for the battery drain? I have a 2006 Minotaur that is doing the exact same thing.
Cgoggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:38 AM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Hello all,

I’m having problems with battery drain. I did a little poking around and found LED 5 on fuse block 2 lit up with the bus completely off and closed up. When I open the passenger door, the LED gets brighter. I always thought that LEDs are binary, either on or off, but that’s what I’m seeing. The legend on the fuse cabinet says that LED means the door is open. I found the switch in the manual door opener lever case and unplugged it, but the light is still glowing half-bright.

Danjo
Barring any problem with door switches or sensors, my guess would be something is amiss in the BCM (Body Control Module) or LCM (Lighting Control Module). Most vehicle electrical systems today are controlled by electronic brain boxes that supply and interrupt grounds for electrical circuits based on input from switches such as what you describe.

Some of these switches are normally-closed contacts, meaning the contacts would be closed (completing the circuit) when the door is closed.

i.e., the door being closed completes the ground to the BCM, and the BCM sees the ground as a signal to command the LCM to interrupt the ground to the interior lights.

Others might be normally-open contacts, meaning the contacts would be open (interrupting the circuit) when the door is closed. In this case, the BCM would see the interruption as a signal to command the LCM to kill the lights by interrupting that circuit's ground.

In this case, unplugging the switch would do nothing -- it would simply perpetually tell the BCM to trigger the interior lights through the LCM. You might test all the door switches / sensors to ensure they are okay, then go from there. BCM / LCM issues usually require seeing a dealer.

When it does this, check to see what has power that should not (power windows, stereo, gauges powering up when they shouldn't). That will be a clue as to where the problem is. You could have a relay for Retained Accessory Power getting stuck, which could be an easy fix.

Just my $0.02.

If either of you are near Avoca, NY, you might check out South Main Auto Repair. Eric O is a crackerjack when it comes to electrical issues, but it certainly sounds like a BCM / LCM fault to me.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:33 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgoggles View Post
Danjo, did you ever find a source for the battery drain? I have a 2006 Minotaur that is doing the exact same thing.
I had a bad battery. One was draining the other. If you want some troubleshooting ideas, just reply back.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #6

Thanks! I was suspecting a bad battery, but it was the open door LED that was throwing me off.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgoggles View Post
Thanks! I was suspecting a bad battery, but it was the open door LED that was throwing me off.
Oh man...that was a journey. At one point I had somehow had the accessory lights switch on. I don’t know how I did that.

So I was doing a parasitic drain test and found that with everything off, doors closed, hood closed, I was drawing about 1.5 amps. When I disconnected the second battery, it dropped to something like 90 milliamps.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Oh man...that was a journey. At one point I had somehow had the accessory lights switch on. I don’t know how I did that.

So I was doing a parasitic drain test and found that with everything off, doors closed, hood closed, I was drawing about 1.5 amps. When I disconnected the second battery, it dropped to something like 90 milliamps.
That's about what the memory lead for the stereo would pull. I'd say you're okay. I've see where a bad cell could cause a discharge like this, but usually only happens in colder weather (below 40 in my experience).
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the help, super appreciated!!!!

Tags
door open, minotour, short