Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2024, 10:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Welcomed to skoolie life

So picked up my new to me 2002 gmc blue bird today and drove it 400kms to where the conversion will happen and this bus performed beautifully, right up until we turned into the driveway and we blew the fan belt and sprung a leak on the water pump which is confusing to me. So if anyone had any pointers on how to diagnose what is leaking on this pump I would be forever grateful

Cat 3126
CKM53347

ChibaPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:48 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Well poke around in there with a flash light. Chances are it's coming out of the weep hole on the bottom of the pulley on the water pump housing. When the main bearing fails they are made to leak there. With the belt off feel the pump pulley for side to side up and down play. Spin it bad hand listen and feel for any roughness noises etc. Worst case you need a new water pump and best case it's just a hose.

Side note don't intermix coolant colors, what ever comes out put the same color back in. Green is just normal prestone and orange red is likely CAT EC-1 coolant or final charge from Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibaPrime View Post
So picked up my new to me 2002 gmc blue bird today and drove it 400kms to where the conversion will happen and this bus performed beautifully, right up until we turned into the driveway and we blew the fan belt and sprung a leak on the water pump which is confusing to me. So if anyone had any pointers on how to diagnose what is leaking on this pump I would be forever grateful

Cat 3126
CKM53347
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote