Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #1

1982 Bluebird 8.2L DD purchase?

We are interested in purchasing a 1982 Bluebird bus, RWD, 8.2L Detroit Diesel, automatic trans, 8 cyl., with less than 30,000 original miles. It was purchased by a guy that is or was a mechanic. He says that he replaced hoses and things of that nature. Also he mentioned that he drove about 3500 miles and the bus only used a (1) gal of oil (He says that is unheard of).

We are about to make a trip to see the vehicle and just want to know if this would be a good investment in general (engine) for doing a conversion.

I have seen mixed views on the 8.2L DD engines and it seems like it is a toss up. Either it is going to be good or it will be bad.

Anyone have good arguments for or against getting a bus with an 8.2L DD in it?

geauxbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
While I doubt its anyone's favorite engine by any means, I wouldn't skip a good deal on a clean good running bus.
How much actual driving are you anticipating doing with the bus?
Got any pics?
The mileage sounds suspiciously low. Lots of buses get new gauges and it can get confusing. If that is the original mileage and the price is good, I'd be able to overlook it having the DD.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

Well the guy says that it is original miles... It was a bus used at an Power company.
bus
engine1
engine2

Old 03-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #4

I am not sure what a good price would be for a bus that old with that many miles... seems to be in really good shape...it is priced under 6k. They started the conversion for their food business, but had to stop. Not sure how well they did the floor or other parts of it yet. I hope it is in great shape engine wise ... I can handle the rest on my own.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Only the two links to the engine bay pics worked.
But yeah go and check it out.
I wouldn't pay anything near 5 or 6 grand for something that old with that engine, though. Unless it had some serious work put into it.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #6

I got the other bus link to work.

Here are some more:
Bus2
Bus3
Bus4
Old 03-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I think I saw this one on govdeals of public surplus a couple months ago.
Probably flipping it.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
I wouldnt do more than 3k, tops!
Id rather have a bus used regularly with average miles on it than one that was used, then sat for a long time.
If youre gonna drive much, Id wait for a better engined bus.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
I like the 8.2L Turbo in my 1986 Blue Bird All American FE. It gets fantastic mpgs, not that anyone believes me so I've just stopped saying what it got. I generally tell folks that the engine lives up to it's nickname of "Fuel Pincher". The EARLY YEARS of the 8.2L were the problem years. The engine was redesigned due to the head gaskets blowing. I do not know when this was. But I think I remember it being around '82 or '83. But it's reputation was already tarnished. It is not a speed demon bus. It will do 60 - 65 mph easily but at a loss of mpgs. It does slow down in the mountains (but you should anyway). If I were hung up on speeding down the highway then I would not drive a school bus. This engine also starts easily in cold weather.

A link to a post on someone who has actually had more than one.
8.2l fuel pincher???? | Arboristsite.com

BTW, the posts I have seen about the "bad" engines are generally either a poorly maintained, neglected engine and/or the story is told about an engine owned by someone's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske View Post
I like the 8.2L Turbo in my 1986 Blue Bird All American FE. It gets fantastic mpgs, not that anyone believes me so I've just stopped saying what it got. I generally tell folks that the engine lives up to it's nickname of "Fuel Pincher". The EARLY YEARS of the 8.2L were the problem years. The engine was redesigned due to the head gaskets blowing. I do not know when this was. But I think I remember it being around '82 or '83. But it's reputation was already tarnished. It is not a speed demon bus. It will do 60 - 65 mph easily but at a loss of mpgs. It does slow down in the mountains (but you should anyway). If I were hung up on speeding down the highway then I would not drive a school bus. This engine also starts easily in cold weather.

A link to a post on someone who has actually had more than one.
8.2l fuel pincher???? | Arboristsite.com

BTW, the posts I have seen about the "bad" engines are generally either a poorly maintained, neglected engine and/or the story is told about an engine owned by someone's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Hell that sounds just like my dt466. Sounds good to me.

Tags
8 cylinders, 8.2, bluebird, bus, detroit diesel