Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

8.2l Black smoke

Hey there everyone. So my engine overheated a while back with a leaky radiator hose. Fixed it up put water in and it drove back fine. No smoke for a hundred miles. It’s still running fine nonissue. Put a new alternator in it. Changed the oil and filters. Now it’s blowing black smoke at acceleration and shifts. Took air filter off and ran it to see if it was air and not that. Whats next to look at. Like I said a couple months back it overheated up to 230. Fixed up cooled off and drove the last hundred mile leg just fine. Could that have done it. New to diesels. Thanks.

MedicineBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Where are you now and what is the altitude?
Old 10-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I’m in Silver City, Nm 88061. 4000 ft elevation. This is where the bus has been for over a year without smoke.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:29 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
To me black smoke means excessive fuel flow to the engine. (diesels) If you don't lose coolant and you don't have water in your oil (tan colored oil) and you don't have oil in your coolant then you probably didn't hurt your engine from the one overheating. I hope you replaced the water with antifreeze so you don't freeze up your engine in the cold. It would ruin your engine in a hard freeze.
Experiencing 230 degrees shouldn't have done any real damage to your engine. Keep in mind you need to get the air out of the water jacket in some diesels when you lose the coolant. I know this is the case for Detroit 671s and Cummins big cam engines.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:18 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Black smoke all the time, or only when full throttle?

Free flowing exhaust?

I agree with the others. Black smoke is a sign of too much fuel or not enough air. Plugged air filters, collapsing air tubes, mud dobbers in the intake, plugged mufflers will all cause this.

If it's black smoke all the time, even at idle, you might have an injector problem.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Water Jacket? Never heard of that one yet. Yes I added coolant when we got home. No coolant in oil and vice versa. Running fine. I’ll check for mud dobbers and collapsing tubes. Plugged mufflers? There is only puffs of black smoke during acceleration and gear changes. Thanks again for you guys help.