Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #1

Bendix tu-flo 501 crank oil rings

Just rebuilt a tu-flo 501. This unit has the crank that extends out the back of the unit with a pulley to drive the alternator off the back. Very last piece of assy was installing the bearing cover on the back. There are two cast iron oil rings to seal the pressure lube to the crank. So what did I do? #@$&# broke one! Have looked everywhere I can think of online, hydraulic supply, industrial supply and even called Bendix parts tech support. Bendix indicated the rings aren't available...but you can buy whole rebuilt exact units so someone must have these rings. Does anyone here have a clue cause I sure don't.

Thanks in advance...and merry Christmas
Paul

paul1orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #2

Had to figure out how to attach pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1orr View Post
Just rebuilt a tu-flo 501. This unit has the crank that extends out the back of the unit with a pulley to drive the alternator off the back. Very last piece of assy was installing the bearing cover on the back. There are two cast iron oil rings to seal the pressure lube to the crank. So what did I do? #@$&# broke one! Have looked everywhere I can think of online, hydraulic supply, industrial supply and even called Bendix parts tech support. Bendix indicated the rings aren't available...but you can buy whole rebuilt exact units so someone must have these rings. Does anyone here have a clue cause I sure don't.

Thanks in advance...and merry Christmas
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181219_172430.jpg   IMG_20181219_172443.jpg  
Old 12-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
these arent included in the rebuild kit? I was thinking all bearings,retainers, and seals were included in a full rebuild kit

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

There is no rebuild kit. Everything is a la carte...rod bearings, piston rings, head kit are all separate items. The oil rings were fine so I didn't even look for them before. Now that I need them it seems they are made of unobtainium.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I've ran into similar issues with old parts that are no longer supported.

The problem is that certain things aren't really wear items per se, which is why you're having issues finding them. If bendix says they're unavailable, they likely are unavailable.

In the reman process, they might make 8 reman'd components from 10 cores, which is why not all parts will be available.

I don't think they're making new versions of that compressor anymore either, which hurts your chances of finding it even more.

I'd see if you could find a used one somewhere to scavenge what you need. Other then that, you're pretty much stuck with buying a reman compressor, which you likely don't want to do after all the work you've done.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote