Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #1

Bus not started since 2012

1985 blue bird bus in storage since 2012. Besides replacing batteries what steps to take to start? Or is it toast.

davehansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Sounds like fun. What engine and transmission? What is the condition of the fuel in the tank? Any idea why it was stored? If it starts and drives will it stop?
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Mine sat much longer, so that is less of an issue. Why was it parked? That can be simply not used and forgotten about, or maybe a real problem was showing and it got parked till it could be fixed.

Gas or diesel? If gas engine take out the spark plugs put a little oil in the cylinders and turn the engine by hand, ignition of please. If it turns ok then take the distributor out and spin the oil pump with a drill to get oil pressure. Take valve covers off to see if the oil is coming up to the rocker arms. Rotate the by hand again checking that all valves open and close as they should. If all is ok put valve covers back on , spark plugs back in, and one last time of spinning the oil pump, the distributor back in and start it. I should say taking the carb off and cleaning it out should be done before doing all this.

A diesel you can not spin the oil pump without cranking the engine. So I prefer to pull the injectors put some oil in the cylinders turn the engine by hand checking valves just like you did for the gas engine, then crank the engine and watch for oil pressure and oil flow up to the rocker arms. Injectors can be put back in now, and valve covers back on.

Fuel system needs to be primed and filters changed, then it should be ready to start
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #4

Got it from my brother in law who worked for Laidlaw . He said it has a factory rebilt Detroit Diesel in it with 41000 miles on it . Auto 4 speed trans. He passed 4 years ago so cant ask him anymore about it. Drove it in the yard and parked it with verry little fuel in it, ran great. Planned to converet it but life happened and so it sat. Now I have time so thinking about if I can get it running converting to MH
Old 07-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Detroit.. im guessing its a GMC front end? 8.2 maybe? if its international the 'DT' means diesel turbo and not detroit..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #6

ol trun look like you are in So CA are you anywhere near Glendora ?
Old 07-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #7

Yes it a GMC blue bird bus logo on front says Lifestar . Bus is from Grants Pass OR school district.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I lived in Glendora many years ago but now I am on the coast about 100 miles away so probably not much help to you---sorry.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote