Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas Built Chevy
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Coolant flush/replacement

I have changed the oil and oil filters on my 8.2L Fuel Pincher and need to do the same with the coolant. However, I am having a little trouble finding information considering the age of the engine.

As far as coolants, is there a specific one that people recommend? I am currently leaning towards using Final Charge by Peak, and as far as I have discovered this follows the requirements for my engine (based on this DDC Approved Oil List).

I also plan on replacing the coolant filter. There is currently a LuberFiner LFW 4016 there now. I had done some reading and it seemed like some filters have additional additives? I plan on just replacing this filter with an identical one as long as it wont interact poorly with my coolant.

Finally, I am unsure of where to drain. I know of the block drains/oil cooler drain but havent looked at them with my own eyes yet. Where do I add the water to flush and the coolant when I'm done?

Any resources or guides would be greatly appreciated!

bigbeanbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Most any ethylene glycol type of coolant should do. Just be careful not to mix any Dex-Cool or compatible, it will solidify the mix as a whole and clog up your entire cooling system.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Yes some filters do have SCA's supplemental coolant additives. Since you are changing the antifreeze you do not want to use a filter with the SCA's as the new antifreeze will have the correct amount of stuff in it. By the way the filters with coolant additives are for the old green antifreeze so if you do not use the green antifreeze then stay with filters that do not have the additives even for future filter changes. The need to monitor additive levels in the old style green antifreeze kind of makes it a no go for me unless it is required by the engine manufacturer.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Yes some filters do have SCA's supplemental coolant additives. Since you are changing the antifreeze you do not want to use a filter with the SCA's as the new antifreeze will have the correct amount of stuff in it. By the way the filters with coolant additives are for the old green antifreeze so if you do not use the green antifreeze then stay with filters that do not have the additives even for future filter changes. The need to monitor additive levels in the old style green antifreeze kind of makes it a no go for me unless it is required by the engine manufacturer.
Yeah the bus is running an orange, Fanta looking coolant right now and I don't plan on using the green stuff. Should I pay attention to the color of the coolant I choose or does it not really mean anything?
Old 05-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeanbus View Post
Yeah the bus is running an orange, Fanta looking coolant right now and I don't plan on using the green stuff. Should I pay attention to the color of the coolant I choose or does it not really mean anything?
Is it orange or is it super rusty to the point its orange?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Is it orange or is it super rusty to the point its orange?
I don't believe its rusty but ill give it a look once I can, the engine is in good condition so it would be unlikely; just unsure what coolant the previous owner was running/when it was last changed.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Me I'd flush it all and run brand new cheap old school green stuff and check the levels with those strips every so often.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
The color can be a good indicator of what coolant is in it, but it is not a for sure thing. as long as you drain and flush including heater core(s) then you are safe to put what you want in.

Dexcool is kind of red, it does not play well with others. Great all by itself but if ever mixed can cause trouble.

The so called "global" usually is a yellowish color, but not always.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:14 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Should I pay attention to the color of the coolant I choose or does it not really mean anything?
All the different coolant chemistry makes it confusing to know which is supposed to be used. Without a specific recommendation from the manufacturer it is left up to the owner to decide which is best. I am going through some of the same but with a DT466E.
The approved list has Final Charge Global Extended Life Coolant, which is red in color, according to the SDS. It also is nitrite free. There is also a Final Charge NOAT which is also red, but it has nitrite and is not on the approved list.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:28 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
All the different coolant chemistry makes it confusing to know which is supposed to be used. Without a specific recommendation from the manufacturer it is left up to the owner to decide which is best. I am going through some of the same but with a DT466E.
The approved list has Final Charge Global Extended Life Coolant, which is red in color, according to the SDS. It also is nitrite free. There is also a Final Charge NOAT which is also red, but it has nitrite and is not on the approved list.
Yeah, from my research it seems like NOAT is not meant for these types of engines.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:29 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Best is to go with the manufacturer's recommendation. If that is standard coolant with SCA, then use it. If that is an Extended Life Coolant with OAT (Organic Acid Technology) then go with that.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:29 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Best is to go with the manufacturer's recommendation. If that is standard coolant with SCA, then use it. If that is an Extended Life Coolant with OAT (Organic Acid Technology) then go with that.
I do agree with this.

However for those of us who have much older buses what to do? If the extended life coolant had been available would the manufacturers have recommended them? and which one?
Old 05-14-2020, 07:02 AM   #13
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
The Detroit 8.2 fuel pincher ceased production and use in highway vehicles long before OAT was a thing. Some might say because it is a diesel that it's better for a diesel, and in regard to newer engines, they would be right, as this type of coolant is specially made to accommodate the unique duty cycles of commercial diesel engines. But remember, the typical duty cycle of a commercial diesel is running at speed most of the time, and usually a lot of idling. You won't see that type of duty cycle with a skoolie or motorhome.

Also keep in mind components that were designed before OAT came about are likely to suffer problems with different coolant, in much the same way that a system designed for 68% concentration could have issues at a 50/50 water / ethylene mix.

I'm pretty sure the only coolant type that existed when the 8.2 went out of production was standard green ethylene glycol, and that is what I would recommend OP put back in it. And whether the coolant in it is indeed orange, or simply orange from rust buildup (which generally means a good flush and possibly a radiator), it definitely needs to be flushed and have the green stuff put back in. Just my $0.02 / recommendation.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I recommend the standard green in the older stuff. Any truck shop should have the test strips to test it. Even if you use the "maintenance free" stuff, you're still supposed to check them with test strips to check freeze point and acidity.

Make sure whatever filter you use, is good for the antifreeze you're using.

The newer coolants are neat, but are more expensive and IMO unnecessary in an older engine. They're used in modern engines because those have egr coolers that would plug up with the nitrates and silicates found in regular green. Google it if you want to see it first hand.

Your old fuel pincher doesn't have that issue.

The only orange coolant that I know of is dexcool, good luck if someone put that in your system.

If your coolant is rusty, flush it with motorcraft vc9 coolant flush. That's about the best stuff I've found to remove rust in a cooling system.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #15
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
The only orange coolant that I know of is dexcool, good luck if someone put that in your system.
A good, long flush should get that out of the syste, assuming no blockage from prior cross-contamination.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
A good, long flush should get that out of the system, assuming no blockage from prior cross-contamination.
I'm tried everything on some of them. That brown **** just won't dissolve. I've used commercial flushes, dish machine soap, and even some off the wall stuff.

About the best stuff I've found that will actually dissolve on contact is acetone. I use that in the plastic overflow tanks and other things I can remove from the car.

As far as the cooling system is concerned, the super clean stuff in the purple jug works about the best. Drain the coolant, flush everything with a garden hose, fill with straight super clean, idle the engine for an hour, dump the superclean, flush with a garden hose until clean, and then add your new antifreeze(preferably not dexcool). The last vehicle I did I actually used superclean in it twice, it was that dirty.

You don't want to use anything too powerful and have it the eat hoses, gaskets, and seals.

A lot of people preach about only using distilled water. Our tap water in town here is pretty good, so that's what I use.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:54 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Vinegar is also a time honered effective cleaner to use.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:22 PM   #18
Traveling

Flushing long enough with clean water should get any trace of Death-Cool out though.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I have had good results with the Mercedes citric acid flush.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:31 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Hey I have an 85 Chevy short school bus that's got an 8.2 fuel pincher in it if you're in North Carolina I can give it to you for a really good deal in really good shape
roxious55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, coolant, flush, fuel pincher