Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

I'm in love with a '61 MCI..post 2

Hello! I have posted this info on another thread and it was suggested that I might find good advice over here!
We are looking to buy our first conversion. We originally were set on a traditional skoolie but i found this '61 MCI online and i am in love with it.
(I think it's important to interject here that we know ZERO about Detroit diesel motors )
That being said..i love this bus but i am worried that because it is so old ( and AWESOME) that we wont be able to find parts or a mechanic who works on engines like this old one. I am attaching part of the text from the ad so you can see what the specifics are. Thank you in advance for any advice or thoughts!! I have also attached a pic.

The bus underwent a major rehaul in 1970 after a short life as a Canadian tour bus. It has been well maintained and has many new parts, including: a new 6V92T engine with jake brakes, a 10 speed Fuller transmission with overdrive, and Ross Intergal power steering. The rear axle has been rebuilt, and new front windshields and mount rubbers have been installed. The bus can hold 150 gallons of fresh water and also has a 175 gallon holding tank.
Attached Thumbnails
20190706_195622.jpg  

Ineedabus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:02 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I forgot to mention that there are 50k miles on the rebuilt motor...
Ineedabus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:25 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd go for it if I could afford it. I think 40k is too much money for it though.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote