Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas Built Chevy
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Need help with coolant!

We are planning on heading out tomorrow and while checking my fluids I noticed that the coolant was getting very low.

I had a shop do a coolant flush for me a couple months back and the info they gave me was that they used 'Alliance OAT ELC 50/50' , a red coolant, to fill it; however I cant find much information when searching for the same product.

Can I top it off with a similar OAT 50/50 red coolant or does it need to be the exact same thing?

bigbeanbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
OAT is Organic Acid Technology. ELC is Extended Life Coolant, which has OAT, which makes the ELC extended-life.

Here's the deal. Most, if not all ELC is designed for extended run cycles prevalent in cross-country trucks with heavy duty commercial diesels. Such engines are run nearly night and day, and the OAT helps to prevent corrosion under these conditions. It is generally not suited for vehicles that sit a lot and aren't run much, and it tends to become acidic under such conditions after a couple years.

That being said, OAT ELC is fairly generic in the sense that OAT can be mixed with most other OAT at this point, just don't mix it with ethylene glycol or it will cause a chemical reaction between the two that will cause the coolant to solidify and clog up your cooling system.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas Built Chevy
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
OAT is Organic Acid Technology. ELC is Extended Life Coolant, which has OAT, which makes the ELC extended-life.

Here's the deal. Most, if not all ELC is designed for extended run cycles prevalent in cross-country trucks with heavy duty commercial diesels. Such engines are run nearly night and day, and the OAT helps to prevent corrosion under these conditions. It is generally not suited for vehicles that sit a lot and aren't run much, and it tends to become acidic under such conditions after a couple years.

That being said, OAT ELC is fairly generic in the sense that OAT can be mixed with most other OAT at this point, just don't mix it with ethylene glycol or it will cause a chemical reaction between the two that will cause the coolant to solidify and clog up your cooling system.
So the Alliance coolant is not ethylene glycol based? I cant really seem to find the exact specs for it anywhere. The Detroit Diesel manual recommends ethylene glycol coolants so I figured thats what the shop would have added.

It seems like my best bet is to try and call up some shops to get my hands on the Alliance coolant to avoid any mistakes.
bigbeanbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I don't think any OAT / ELC is ethylene glycol. Calling some shops is definitely a good idea.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: MBE 906
Rated Cap: 72
The coolant needs to meet spec 93k217
Peak final charge global is the proper coolant! Old World Industries is the manufacturer for Detroit, the same company that makes Peak!
schoolbuscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #6

Year: 1975
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 671 Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeanbus View Post
We are planning on heading out tomorrow and while checking my fluids I noticed that the coolant was getting very low.

I had a shop do a coolant flush for me a couple months back and the info they gave me was that they used 'Alliance OAT ELC 50/50' , a red coolant, to fill it; however I cant find much information when searching for the same product.

Can I top it off with a similar OAT 50/50 red coolant or does it need to be the exact same thing?
You should be able to find Alliance brand coolant at your local Freightliner truck dealer. Alliance is Freightliner's own brand of parts.
FlexyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, engine, oat, red