Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New Crown

Hello -
I just recently picked up a 1990 Crown Super Coach and have some initial questions regarding the Detroit 6-71T.

First where would be the best place to pick up service manuals for this particular bus? Not finding a whole lot online.

Secondly, I was told this particular bus doesn't have a governor. Not sure if that's by design or failure but how could I verify/fix this issue. I am new to driving the 10 speed and I am afraid of over revving this thing if I haven't already.

Can anyone suggest a fair/honest Detroit mechanic in the Billings area?

rdt9910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
My understanding is peak torque for this engine is around 1,600rpm and its peak rpm is about 2,300rpm. This seems pretty consistent for most types of diesel engines because they don't need high RPMs to achieve peak torque. The two-stroke Detroit diesels are an increasingly rare breed and as such mechanics who know them are also growing rarer.

Those aren't the classic vintage style Crowns but they should still be reliable and a good platform for your build plan. Of course rarity is its own burden so like the engine expect to have to look harder anytime you need info on these unique but uncommon coaches. Detroit Diesel isn't common in other brand school buses but is much more common in charter style motorcoaches like MCI so you can probably keep that in mind as you look for who might be more likely to know those engines. Those engines are also common in marine applications but I'm not sure how much help that is going to be in MT!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Have you tried ebay for a manual? at least for the engine.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

The bus may not have a governor. However the engine will have one to limit engine speed. Does your bus have a tachometer? Do be aware that being a two stroke engine it will sound like it is screaming especailly at full rpm.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:54 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the reply. I haven't gone ebay route yet. I tend to avoid ebay, not sure why, but I will check them out.

I picked the bus up in Portland and drove it back to Billings with out issue. But the 10 speed was new to me and I missed gears a couple of times (didn't help the clutch pedal was bald and it's got a foot rest right next to it) and definitely saw the engine rev. quickly. The previous owner told me it doesn't have a governor. I am not sure if that meant it's failed or been messed with.

I was running 10th gear from 2100-2300 most of the drive and the motor didn't seem like it was screaming by an means. Honestly it seemed that's where most of the power was being made.

At this point, I am really just looking for a decent and fair tech in the billings area to give it a good run through.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I hope some of the Crown guys pick up on this thread. One specializes in the older Crowns and one in the SuperCoach like yours. Thay may be able to point you in the right direction.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:09 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Like Ronnie said...the engine has (or SHOULD have) a governor. Perhaps the PO meant there's no speed governor?

We have a bus with a 6-71 and one with a 6-92TA, so we're pretty familiar with them. They like to be run at the higher end of the RPM range. Lugging them or pulling up a hill in the wrong gear will cause them to heat up and it's the overheating that can (will) kill one of these engines faster than anything. Drive based on the temp gauge, more than any other gauge.

Check out the videos by Scott Crosby, on his Bus Grease Monkey YouTube channel. He does video consultations for about $50/30-minute segment and you can learn a lot in 30 minutes. It might be worth showing him your engine and walking through all the parts and things to check.

And...good for you with the 10-speed! My keeper bus is a Gillig with a 10-speed Eaton Fuller. It has a Cat 3208, instead of the Detroits that are our in our others, but it's a lot of fun to drive. You'll get it down. The trick is to use just finger pressure against the gate and, when the speed of the engine matches the speed of the bus, it'll drop into gear. Are you double-clutching or floating? You may find that floating, or shifting without the clutch, is smoother and easier to master.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:16 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Based on the context of conversation while they were teaching me to drive, I am inclined this meant that no engine governor existed, but this is all new to me. Also, I saw the tach over the 2500 mark while trying to get the shifting down. I am not sure what the end of the world for this motor is, but at this point it made the trip, starts right up, doesn't smoke and has all the power(I believe.)
Old 12-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

2300 rpm isn't a problem for them, as some came/come with governors set at 2350...and 2500 is also usually fine, especially no load (like you saw when shifting)...so I'm sure you did no damage at all.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:50 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the reassurance. Now I just need to learn how to drive it well. And work on it. I know for sure I'd like a proper tech to give it a run through. It needs all fluids and filters changed and belts. Some switches like wipers and headlights are finnicky, so I think the service manual will be best in these areas.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
95% chance the seller meant the bus has no road speed limiter (road speed governor), the engine RPM governor is very likely in place and working as it should.
These old 2-stroke Detroits like to run in the high RPM range, as Ross said. I learned to drive on one. Good luck finding a service manual. I never had one, never needed it as a driver.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:24 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

For $24 you can download copies of the older (non turbo) 6-71 manuals from these folks, and help support an interested group of enthusiasts. They won't exactly apply to your more modern version, but much will carry over. Our 1949 GM has a 6-71 and we recently bought a replacement 6-17 that's almost unchanged from the 1949 iteration. They changed from 2 to 4 valves in the head, but other than that it's essentially identical.

https://barringtondieselclub.co.za/d...it-diesel.html

If you prefer hard copies, we did buy a set of re-prints from these folks and they're quite nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DETROIT-IN-...IAAOSwr-BcEpBS
Old 12-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

My service manual shows 2300 as max full load rpm. As said by others run it at or near max rpm . So the 2100 to 2300 you ran it at is perfect. 2500 between shifts is nothing to worry about.

I have a number of Detroits in equipment, and have had them in trucks too. When I get around to it plan to put a 6-71 in a short bus I have.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Search and read Posts by
Crown_Guy
you'll find plenty of great info about your Crown in those threads.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdt9910 View Post
Hello -
I just recently picked up a 1990 Crown Super Coach and have some initial questions regarding the Detroit 6-71T.

First where would be the best place to pick up service manuals for this particular bus? Not finding a whole lot online.

Secondly, I was told this particular bus doesn't have a governor. Not sure if that's by design or failure but how could I verify/fix this issue. I am new to driving the 10 speed and I am afraid of over revving this thing if I haven't already.

Can anyone suggest a fair/honest Detroit mechanic in the Billings area?
I've read the other posts but will reply to this one.

First, Take a deep breath, and lets approach things slowly and logically.

So many posts/replies without enough information to answer properly.

Please post as much info as you can on the specifics of your Crown. Like is it a mid-engine Crown Super Coach as you stated, or a rear-engined Crown Super II as I think a couple other posters thought it might be. How long is it? 35, 36, 38 or 40 Feet. Try posting a pic when you can, or wait and send it to me as an attachment in email. How many axles 2 or 3.

Couple of things I'll infer, with no real data yet, like the others, but I'm willing to take some wild ass guesses based on what you've said so far.

It sounds to me like a mid-engined Crown Super Coach, reinforced by that little comment of that driver foot rest by the clutch pedal, that was a cool feature used on the Crowns forever and not so much on the Crowns II's which mostly had automatic transmissions when new. Also the ten speed is a giveaway because as I said most Crown II's were Allison autos and no manual transmissions, except for a very rare few I've been informed were special ordered by that district.

First off, all Detroit 2-strokes have a governor which is required for it to even operate at all, period. In the mid-engined mounted pancake Crown installation the low idle speed should be adjusted to about 650rpm. If your tach isn't showing about this, then I'd suspect the tach is off, not the engine.

At the top engine governed speed the series 71's were governed at about 2150 by the book. They were easily bumped up to around 2300 or a little more to gain more road speed from the school bus 4:10 rear-end gearing which would give almost 67mph or so, instead of the usual 63.

Try it out by giving it full throttle, while sitting still in neutral, and see were it goes and note the speed setting on the tach. Be suspicious of the tach until you can verify it isn't lying to you. Get it calibrated and or get a separate laser style rpm reading tool and measure the engine rpm directly from the crankshaft pulley. This isn't hard to do and most shops should have something on hand if you don't want to buy one yourself. Available on ebay or amazon for $20-30 and will come in handy as you convert the bus. If the governor is working correctly, you can't hurt it by over-revving it, it simply won't let you. If it's adjusted correctly. You should verify that pretty soon though with a mechanic.

Again, there is NO such thing as a road speed governor. It's all done by the normal operation of the engine governor and rear-end ratios. And there are no computers involved anywhere in the engine or transmission. Purely a mechanical system which is the very best thing to have. It will run forever. If you don't understand just how special that is, you will soon enough, when you see how reliable and solid a Crown is and that it will always get you home.

I also suspect that as you learned to drive, and did all the stuff you aren't describing, but I know you did, as you learned the very hardest of ways to drive a 10spd stick shift. You missed gears and had the throttle maxed out, and were trying to recover and find any gear at all, you may have noticed the tach swinging monetarily way high and showing 2500rmp.....that wasn't accurate and a result of the tach itself internally overshooting.

The engine is set for whatever it's set at and it won't go higher than that.

I'd also forget whatever that seller told you about the bus, since he obviously was very misinformed, and start doing your own research and get your own facts. You'll find that an amazing and enjoyable journey.

The engine governed high speed no-load setting is the highest it will go and determines the max road speed along with the rear-end ratio. Most Crowns were sold with the school bus gearing of 4:10 where they would do a very max 63mph at about 2200rpm. Some bumped the engine to 2300 or a little more to gain some road speed. For a private owner looking for 70+ mph highway speeds you'll have to change the rear-end ratio, which is a simple thing to do. You may also look at changing that 10spd to an Overdrive transmission, but that means taking it out and having it opened up and the gears moved around internally. No big deal, once it's removed and on a bench, but that's a chore. The differential is probably easier.

It's good to want to find a local 2-stroke mechanic. I'd suggest that you look for city bus lines, charter companies that have been around for a while and had MCI, Prevosts, maybe even GMC coaches, all with 2-stroke engines. Also some truck companies may still be running them for logging and oil field service. The oil patch still uses a lot of Detroits so you may be able to find a service company that has experienced 2-stroke mechanics around. Even stationary backup generators in hospitals and other places like that had lots of Detroit 2-strokes as the engine of choice. You may find out whoever services those. The Detroits aren't gone but the Gov't Nazis are doing their best. Good luck.

There's a ton of stuff to go over and I can't do it all at once. The important thing is to find out exactly what you have and I'll help you with how to get info and lead you in the right direction.

You can get engine manuals, which I've been doing for years online and that's no problem. I do use Ebay quite successfully and get good bargains.

Also the transmission manuals. About that transmission. Can you describe how it shifts, exactly how it shifts. Do you do the first five gears in low range with no air valve operations? Then pull it into high range and do the five again? If so that's 99% an (Eaton)-Fuller Roadranger style of operation and what most 10spds were that got installed in Crowns. If, by chance, you have to flip a little (air valve) lever to "split" each gear while in that gear, then that's a Spicer transmission and certainly not a favorite of mine.

One other thing, if it's a Fuller, is the shift pattern, and where 4th and 5th gear are located.

Note this carefully. If 4th gear (and 9th) are up and to the right as in a standard pattern then you have a non-overdrive where 10th is a direct 1:1 output ratio. If 4th is DOWN and to the right and 5th (and 10th) is up and to the right then that is an Overdrive with an output of about 1:.87 for about 12mph higher road speed. If so it may do a little over 70. But check and verify your speedo and tach before you believe anything, or use a GPS to verify true road-speed.

Get under the bus and look for ID plates with manufacturer, models, and serial numbers.

The Crown itself didn't really have manuals as most people think of them for other vehicles. Crowns are essentially built as a Peterbilt or Kenworth tractor is built, as a totally customized vehicle to the customers specs. Their "Manuals" consisted of 3-Ring Binders with the information from the various manufacturers of the components used in that Crown build. This is the one reason why Crowns are still on the road and in commercial service after more than 30 years, at least, of the last ones built in 1991. Due to the commonly available and mostly still made parts used in the Crown. Fifty+ year old Crowns are still being run and they are easily kept in good condition and parts are available to do that today. You can research whats used on your Crown and duplicate those binders for yourself and be in good shape.

I should stop now, and I Strongly suggest that you contact me directly via email and we can talk on the phone too for a better ability to impart the needed information you're going to need to get comfortable with you're Crown.

I look forward to hearing from you and I can take away your apprehension as well as getting you together with other Crown owners for their inputs to your concerns. There's a guy in Montana with a Crown who could be of assistance.

Crown ownership is becoming a new sub-culture as more and more folks acquire them all over the country. I expect to see more dedicated support groups spring up to help with supporting the community. Welcome and you'll be amazed as you learn more about your Crown.

mikemcc2k@yahoo.com
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:08 AM   #16
Skoolie

Scott Crosby has the governed RPM on his 6-71 turned up to 2600, based on a special tune by a guy named Joe in the pacwest who saved Scott a cylinder head failure and showed him many obscure 2-stroke tricks a couple of years ago. Joe is one of those disappearing DD whisperers...

2600rpm is fast and a little risky on a 6-71, because it exposes you to other problems quicker, and wears everything out faster, but it won't grenade the motor and certainly the Bus Grease Monkey can look after his doing it. From the linkage wear, Joe estimated Scott's motor has at least 4 million miles on it..
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post
I've read the other posts but will reply to this one.

First, Take a deep breath, and lets approach things slowly and logically.

So many posts/replies without enough information to answer properly.......
I swear Mike is like Beetlejuice, If you say "Crown" 3 times he will appear.

There is little to nothing the rest of us can add to this, but I will say that Mike is an absolute wealth of Crown and Detroit knowledge and I would STRONGLY recommend taking him up on his offer to contact him directly. Without his help I wouldn't have this Black Beauty out in my own driveway.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:11 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
I swear Mike is like Beetlejuice, If you say "Crown" 3 times he will appear.

There is little to nothing the rest of us can add to this, but I will say that Mike is an absolute wealth of Crown and Detroit knowledge and I would STRONGLY recommend taking him up on his offer to contact him directly. Without his help I wouldn't have this Black Beauty out in my own driveway.
And I'm still sorry you couldn't come by and see me on your way East. I truly understand, I was out of the way for you, but I was so looking forward to checking out that Crown of yours, especially after all the trouble you had with the buyer and him deciding which bus he'd let you have. And it STILL had issues as I recall. But your perseverance paid off in a handsome and hopefully well enough maintained Crown worthy of your dedicated attentions and pride of ownership.

Plus, as you've no doubt found out, the true secret of Crown ownership, is that you can take control and make repairs and improvements to your Crown as you see fit, and keep it on the road and totally reliable, as they are intended and built to be. For many decades to come. Great investments too.

Congratulations!!

Now lets hope this new guy catches the spark as well and appreciates the incredible Crown he now owns. Then works to make the most of it.

And you're right about that other thing too: Crown Crown Crown
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Been helpful in settling some of the anxiety.

Mike - I took you up on your offer and sent you an email. Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 01-09-2021, 12:33 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Glad to see there's another Crown in my neighborhood! Well, 300 miles away, but still...

Let's see some pics! From the sounds of it, we have very similar buses. Mine is a 1990 40' single axle Supercoach, also with a 6-71 turbo and 10 speed Roadranger (non-overdrive). I drove it up from California last spring. Learning to float shift over the mountain passes was equal parts exhilarating and terrifying.

If you want to learn more about your bus, do what I do: wait for CG/Beetlejuice to post something, then go to that thread and read the whole thing He has an uncanny ability to sniff out everything Crown and I've learned a lot from those discussions.

I sent a PM about manuals.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote