Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Me
Engine: Series 60
Series 50 EGR with blow by. What's cheaper, fixing the engine or replacing it?

I bought a bus with a series 50 EGR engine. Sadly, it has a lot of blow by and is most likely on it's way out. I have a spare series 50 engine, but it's non-EGR. What would be the most financial sense option, replacing the series 50 with a non-EGR series 50, or just fixing this engine that's currently in it?

Thanks

the7exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
If the non egr engine can be made to work in the bus I would swap it. The only problem I can see would be the wiring harness and computer unless your spare engine has those. If the spare has alot of miles it couldn't hurt to rebuild it before you swap it in. A non egr engine is going to perform better and last longer.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:26 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
If the non egr engine can be made to work in the bus I would swap it. The only problem I can see would be the wiring harness and computer unless your spare engine has those. If the spare has alot of miles it couldn't hurt to rebuild it before you swap it in. A non egr engine is going to perform better and last longer.

Ted
I just realized the spare is an EGR engine. It was already recently rehabbed, but I wonder if removing the EGR is worth it.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7exp View Post
I just realized the spare is an EGR engine. It was already recently rehabbed, but I wonder if removing the EGR is worth it.
Removing the EGR engine entirely to repair* is what I meant. Does anyone know if I can swap an EGR engine with a non-EGR one if the build emission year doesn't require it?