Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #1

Series 60 11.1L

My neighbor cut the front off a 92 Volvo truck and is using this as power for his sawmill. After having the driveshaft fixed up it works and runs quite well. His last problem is figuring out to activate the cruise control circuitry.

So i am looking for wire colors or numbers or connectors to help reengage the cruise control. Not finding too much with google searches, but did find this site full of enterprising folks, so thought I would ask.

Patrick

mcgillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
is he trying to maintain a specific driveshaft speed using the cruise? if so he may find that the cruise is slow unless the sawmill load is fairly high.. cruise circuits in vehicles are notoriously slow.. I believe on purpose.. is he using the original transmission or did he fit it with a PTO instead? the engine computer likely gets its cruise speed info from the original transmission sensors..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #3

Original transmission is in use with a modified driveshaft to the saw. The saw does produce a varying load when sawing, but otherwise it just coasts along. Finally found a wiring diagram that may be close. It points out that there are a clutch sw and brake sw that need to be there and working. The brake pedal assembly is completely gone. Will go look for 2 dangling wires to twist together.

If that doesn't get it, then speed sensor from tranny may be missing. Also another site says that sometimes there is a (in-gear) switch on the tranny.

Another site suggested there is a way to set the whole thing up as a PTO system and even suggested there was a way of connecting a variable resistor for engine speed.
mcgillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
If you have everything hacked out of the truck, I doubt cruise will work. On some trucks the cruise is disabled if the check engine light is on.

You'll definitely need some sort of speed sensor on the output of the transmission.

You should be able to set it up as a pto system. You'll need DDDL on a laptop to go in and change the parameters in the engine computer, that should enable the pto option in the ecm. I don't know if you can use a variable resistor, but you should be able to use a regular accel/coast switch to bump up/down the speed. You might possibly have to have the clutch switch jumped to get it to work with this option as well.

What I would do would be to switch the governor setting in the ecm from limiting speed to variable speed, then I would use a c-clamp on the throttle pedal to adjust your speed.

That's assuming you have the throttle pedal out of the truck and hooked up. You'll have to do that anyways if your trying to use cruise control.

IIRC you can switch between governor options on a series 60(It's been a while since I've worked on one)
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
Why not use a mechanical throttle lock like in a GA aircraft. There is the throttle handle and a throttle lock. That won’t necessarily help with heavy loads but it will keep it going.

Just google throttle lock and you can see plenty of examples.
Pizote is offline   Reply With Quote