Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000
Engine: 03 DT466E 215HP
Rated Cap: Medium
03-04 dt-466e blue smoke

Hey I recently took my new (to me) mid sized bus on a couple hundred mile trip over the cascades in wa state (i90 snoqualmie pass). My wife was following behind me and she said while I was descending the pass a HUUUUGE poof of bluish smoke came out….so much I guess that she thought I blew the engine or something….after the steep downhill grade was over I guess it poofed small amounts of bluish smoke a couple more times over the next 60 miles or so.

I was coasting most of the time down the grade but at one point I throttled up to speed up a bit on a short section I began to slow on….I had to get the throttle at about 50-70% before I caught up to the coasting rpms and gained speed again (I think this is when smoking happened)

What do you guys think could be the cause of the blue smoke? Could this be caused by failing or failed liners or seals? Injectors? I’m not a diesel mechanic but I’m trying to learn and I do all my own work on my own busses when possible.

On a side note the bus is geared low and I “felt” like it should have had more power while climbing than it did. Steep stuff I could only get to about 45 mph so maybe it is time to buy a rebuild kit and an Orion reflash system?

Thanks to anyone for replies! Love this site!!

Olympia_Lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote