Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 65
1991 DTA360 Coolant System Flush Procedure

Hello Everyone,

I am excited to join the ranks of this forum. I have recently purchased a 1991 International 3800 and I have many questions but I will start with a couple at this time:

1. Does anyone know or have a guide for doing a proper coolant system flush?

2. Does anyone have a owners manual or set they are willing to part with which would explain this and other questions?

Thank you so much for your time.

Joe

shoeshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: 1991 DTA360 Coolant System Flush Procedure

I doubt an owners manual will discuss a coolant flush.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Coolant System Flush Procedure

There are several questions to be known before a cooling system flush. Is the present coolant worth saving? The thermostat should be removed. After coolant is removed a good system cleaner is added. I have used lye on many occasions for a serious cleaning. After cleaning, fresh clean water is added, take vehicle for a ride to dilute any remaining cleaner. The heater control should be open so the heater core is also cleaned. New coolant should be 50-50
water and coolant. Coolant should be tested with coolant tester. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

From the owners manual of my BB:

HEATER BLEEDING INSTRUCTIONS
Use of antifreeze (ethylene glycol type only) is recommended for summer or winter operation because of its corrosion inhibition and lubrication properties. A 50-50 solution of antifreeze and water is preferred and it gives freeze protection to about 30 degrees F below zero. Ultimate protection is attained at 68% antifreeze (about 92 degrees F below zero); a higher concentration of antifreeze should never be used. Check engine operations and maintenance manuals on recommendations on use of coolant additives.
If it becomes necessary to completely refill the chassis coolant system, the following procedure must be followed to insure adequate heater bleeding. During the bleeding process, it will be necessary to remove the radiator cap and refill cooling system several times to insure adequate coolant is available to replace purged air and coolant lost when bleeding.
WARNING: Extreme care must be used when removing radiator cap. As coolant becomes hot, pressure is built up in the cooling system. Rapid venting and/or removal of radiator cap will cause coolant to boil up and spray out and can result in serious burns. Slowly vent off pressure before removing radiator cap.
PROCEDURE:
1. With the engine off, shut all engine heater gate valves or clamp closed all heater hoses as close to engine as possible.
2. Fill cooling system completely, including surge tank with coolant and run engine for a few minutes to bleed air from cylinder block and heads.
3. Open the heater hose supply line gate valve or unclamp supply line hose. Refer to following pages, (Heater Cutoff Valves) for heater cutoff valve location. Turn on heater water pump.
4. Using a suitable container to catch coolant, run engine between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM, loosen bleeder valve located in heater hose return line. Bleed air and coolant through bleeder valve until air is elimi- nated from heater system. (Stop bleeding when continuous stream of coolant comes from bleeder valve.) Note: It will be necessary every few moments to refill the radiator or surge tank.
5. When all of the air has been purged from the heater system, open gate valve in heater hose return line or unclamp return hose.
6. Run engine between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM until thermostats open. To assist in deaerating the entire cooling system, accelerate the engine a few times before and after thermostats open.
Note: Thermostats have opened when upper radiator tank and radiator hose becomes hot.
7. Refill cooling system including radiator and surge tank.
WARNING: Never idle engine in closed areas. Never sit in a parked or stopped vehicle for any extended amount of time with the engine running; exhaust gases, particularly carbon monoxide, may build up. These gases are harmful and potentially lethal.
Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, but can be present with all other exhaust fumes. Therefore, if you ever smell exhaust fumes of any kind inside your vehicle, have it inspected immediately by your dealer and have the condition corrected. Do not drive with exhaust fumes present.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65

What's the reason for you wanting to flush? Did it test bad or is it full of gunk? There's many different ways and chemicals to flush depending on the reason why you are flushing.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I didn't see the coolant filter mentioned. Does the dt360 have a filter (spin-on or other)?
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: DT466E
Help with bleeding air

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
From the owners manual of my BB:

3. Open the heater hose supply line gate valve or unclamp supply line hose. Refer to following pages, (Heater Cutoff Valves) for heater cutoff valve location. Turn on heater water pump.
Hey Opus et al,

Winter is here in VT... and the family wants heat.
2002 International

I pulled out all of the passenger radiators when I did the bus last spring, put them in this morning and plumbed exactly like they were... I filled the radiator tank and cranked her up...

Then open the valves back to the driver/passenger radiators, but the res tank only dropped about 1"... and nothing went back (I disconnected the highest hose to try to bleed air...

So I quit and came to search for an answer on skoolie.net

Question: Anyone know where this waterheater pump referenced by opus/manual is? and how to turn it on?

Thanks!
Kylebetaclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #8

Usually there is a switch with all the others. I would turn on the key but not start the engine and start flipping switches one at a time and listen. If you have a rear engine bus, have someone listen in the back.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 10-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylebetaclark View Post

Question: Anyone know where this waterheater pump referenced by opus/manual is? and how to turn it on?

Thanks!
I've never seen an aux pump in anything but a rear engine bus. Sorry if that wasnt clear.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
My old 40' BB had a single loop in series to two heaters with no auxiliary pump. Just a mongo water pump on the DD 6V53. Lots of variations on how they plumbed these things.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
The pump on our front engine BB is under the bus, driver's side , under the seat.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:30 PM   #12

My 97 Intl front engine flat front had one under the skirt by driver.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 10-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
I have also seen many front engine buses with coolant booster pumps. Both dog nose and flat nose units.

They also wear out and don't work sometimes.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:41 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post

They also wear out and don't work sometimes.

Nat
That all boils down to your maintenance program. When you live in the cold like I [we] do, you keep track of things like this and replace them BEFORE they break.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:08 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Please tell me you are only using them to get heat while on the road and not sitting there idling to make heat and carbon monoxide.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote