Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2024, 07:05 PM   #1

1997 international dt466e

I'm just curious is $999.99 a good price for this engine?
Attached Thumbnails
DT466E.jpg  

Throatpunchgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 07:23 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
From what I see around my parts, people pay that for core engines. If it's a good runner then that's cheap.My area we tend to go out of province. Everything mechanical is crazy money.
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnibot2000 View Post
From what I see around my parts, people pay that for core engines. If it's a good runner then that's cheap.My area we tend to go out of province. Everything mechanical is crazy money.

According to the website it says, "Runs GREAT" so unless they're a scam, I would say yes it's a good runner.
Throatpunchgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:58 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
depending on what you plan to run that in, you would want to look up its serial number to find out if it was a 3 box engine or a NavPak engine.. difference being that from what i understand the 3 box and single boix used different injectors.. im assuming this is being sold complete turbo to oil pan with injectors still in since its put together..

if its a good runner without a zillion hours then a grand is cheap.

like any engine ive ever bought used id want to stand fire it before putting in the truck.. albeit much more difficult on a 466E, it might be easier to set it on the mounts, hook up the fires and fire it long enough to hear it run before putting everything else back together..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:33 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Hey all you brainy-aks riddle me this, I heard you can take an early E engine like this and put the earlier mechanical front cover and head on and presto you have a mechanical engine, tell me it isn't so.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Inner and outer front covers , you’ll need a pump abd lines and a head , valve cover.. throttle pedal setup with linkage , engine shut off cable , if your trans is auto you need a mechanical modulator , if 1998+ you’ll need a new gauge cluster and to wire it completely as the original was communicating to the ECM, so each gauge sensor needs wired in..

So I ask why??? When for prob a fraction of the cost you could just carry the common failure sensors sbf dbdn a whole spare computer..
Old 05-28-2024, 10:54 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I would take a newer engine and put it in something older and most of those changes would be easy, mostly no computer. I know where there is a dt466e that runs good just has broken front cover, oil pouring out, change parts from a blown up mechanical and have a good engine.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 08:12 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
NGD to early e series can be accomplished. Basically the years they overlapped. As CK said, head would have to be swapped, and at that point you might as well in-frame whatever you're using, and if you're in-framing it, you might as well do the mechanical engine so you don't have to swap timing covers.

FYI this swap isn't mutual. I don't think you can swap an NGD into an E(why you would want to, IDK, just making a disclaimer)
Old 05-29-2024, 10:48 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
NGD to early e series can be accomplished. Basically the years they overlapped. As CK said, head would have to be swapped, and at that point you might as well in-frame whatever you're using, and if you're in-framing it, you might as well do the mechanical engine so you don't have to swap timing covers.

FYI this swap isn't mutual. I don't think you can swap an NGD into an E(why you would want to, IDK, just making a disclaimer)

with the cost of front cover sets and mechanical heads id think he would exceed the cost of finding a good running mechanical 466.. I see them come up for sale fairly often on the DT360/466 Swaps group in facebook.

it would be a nightmare swapping a mechanical into an 'E' truck but I guess swapping into a custom older vehicle its not as big of deal, but building the engine still is..
Old 05-29-2024, 10:57 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Yeah it'd be a losing battle cost wise. My only thought on why this would be desirable were if you had the 2 side by side and wanted to make one good one. If you had an E engine that was just in-framed and had a grenaded heui pump, and had an NGD with a busted crank. Then go ahead swap the parts to make one good one for no more then the cost of a gasket kit.

Like you said, running NGD engines are only a few grand. It's not worth buying one to salvage an E engine.
Old 05-29-2024, 01:12 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Yeah it'd be a losing battle cost wise. My only thought on why this would be desirable were if you had the 2 side by side and wanted to make one good one. If you had an E engine that was just in-framed and had a grenaded heui pump, and had an NGD with a busted crank. Then go ahead swap the parts to make one good one for no more then the cost of a gasket kit.

Like you said, running NGD engines are only a few grand. It's not worth buying one to salvage an E engine.

totally makes sense in that case.. bad block or crank one ..use the parts to build a good one.. esp since 95-03 'E' engines are much easier to come by than NGD ..