Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 4700
Engine: International T444e/ Ford 7.3 powerstroke
1998 international 4700 t444e keeps prematurely shutting off!! HELLLLLLP...Please😁

Hello everyone! I'll try and keep this as short as possible.

About a year and a half ago I purchased a 1998 international 4700 box truck with a t444e engine. Since buying it, the truck has always started right up when I go to start it the first time on any given day, whether the dog days of summer or the bitter cold month of February. It has literally NEVER failed to start. Staying on, however, is a different story.

I have not used the truck much at all in this time frame, I've been working on converting it into a RV so it just sits in one spot. When I first got the truck, when it shut off prematurely, I would just go to start it again and it almost always just started back up. Lately though, when shutting off prematurely it will not just start right back up. Most often I have to let it sit for a time (sometimes minutes sometimes hours) before successfully starting it back up.

Has anyone here had similar issues? Also, here's a list of all the codes I get when running the diagnostic:

111 - ecm - no fault detected
145 - cmp - cmp signal inactive while icp has increased
222 - brake - brake switch circuit fault
332 - icp - Injection Control Pressure Above Spec. With Engine Off ICP
113 - ecm pwr - electrical system voltage B+ out of range low
141 - vss - vehicle speed signal out of range low
225 - EOP EOP sensor signal in-range fault
626 - ECM/PWR Unexpected reset fault
231 - dcl/ata - pg.39 - ata common fault

DJTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
first off code 145 can indciate a failing Cam position sensor. or CPS.. a code 145 will render the engine inoperative and will shut it down in motion and a no start conditiuon occurs until it reads a signal from the CPS.. CPS is a real common failure on these.. I would start there by changing the CPS... the CPS basically tells the computer where the engine rotation is.. if it doesnt know which position or stroke the engine is in then it cant properly fire the injectors so it turns off..

second there are several ICP error codes.. the ICP sensor reads out the pressure of the oil rail which controls the injectors... judging from the codes, the ICP is reading high meaning its always showing pressure even when the engine is off (and actual is zero).. this to me would indicate that oil rail pressure us actually lower than what the computer thinks it is.. so the computer would command it even lower.. this could resiult in stoppingthe engine or sputtering due to no rail pressure..

when it stops will it crank? meaning will the starter try and spin the engine or does it click and do nothing?

you also have a lot of power faults.. I could atrtribute many of them to the fact the batteries were likely dead and went dead over time, setting codes along the way till they were completely dead..

code 231 is unusual to see in a 1998. as I thought you should have ther single big box computer that sits on tjhe side of the passenger valve cover.. .. a dead battery might cause this one.. but its one that could indicate internal issues with the computer..

if the engine starter engages and spins the engine but the truck wont start, unplug the ICP sensor.. this forces the truck to use a default setting for the injector rail (HPOP) oil pressure.. ther engine will run and drive (even thiough may lack power).. if it still doesnt run then replace the CPS sensor..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:10 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the reply Cadillackid.

first off code 145 can indciate a failing Cam position sensor. or CPS.. a code 145 will render the engine inoperative and will shut it down in motion and a no start conditiuon occurs until it reads a signal from the CPS.. CPS is a real common failure on these.. I would start there by changing the CPS... the CPS basically tells the computer where the engine rotation is.. if it doesnt know which position or stroke the engine is in then it cant properly fire the injectors so it turns off..

Yeah I'm constantly hearing about this one so I'll change it asap.

when it stops will it crank? meaning will the starter try and spin the engine or does it click and do nothing?

Yes. The engine always cranks never clicks.

you also have a lot of power faults.. I could atrtribute many of them to the fact the batteries were likely dead and went dead over time, setting codes along the way till they were completely dead..

The batteries are reading 13.1 volts when fully charged. I want to change them but I'm holding off because they're still reading over 13 volts and because the truck takes 3 batteries and I would replace them all at the same time, it's kind of an expensive endeavor. I will change them before the spring hits though.

code 231 is unusual to see in a 1998. as I thought you should have ther single big box computer that sits on tjhe side of the passenger valve cover.. .. a dead battery might cause this one.. but its one that could indicate internal issues with the computer..

My instrument guage cluster doesn't work 90% of the time. If the engine stays on which it sometimes does, the instrument cluster comes to life and looks to behave the way it's supposed to. Im going to pull the instrument cluster and solder any loose connections, but, would a shorted instrument cluster have anything to do with the computer on the passenger side?

if the engine starter engages and spins the engine but the truck wont start, unplug the ICP sensor.. this forces the truck to use a default setting for the injector rail (HPOP) oil pressure.. ther engine will run and drive (even thiough may lack power).. if it still doesnt run then replace the CPS sensor..

Ok yes I've heard this one before too. I will pull the ICP sensor and see what happens.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:24 AM   #4
Bus Geek

The truck should run fine with a broken cluster, I’ve soldered mine a couple times
And it still goes in and out so I use a digital tablet now.

Don’t take the ICP sensor out just take the electrical plug loose,
Old 12-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Understood on the icp plug, but, a digital tablet! I didn't know that was even possible! I would love to know how you were able to do that because that sounds like a serious upgrade!! Got any pics, lol?

Edit:

Also is it possible to do the same with the center console?
Old 12-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #6
Bus Geek

The tablets run off of my J1708 and J1939 data busses.. on a 1998 unless you have md3060 transmission you will only have j1708 and you can get it right off the diagnostic connector so you could easily mount the tablet in the center console.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2136.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	52160

Christopher
Old 12-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Oh snap! That's impressive. Definitely gonna try doing that someday. Are the tablets a one way affair or are you able to control any functions like music, lights, climate etc?
Old 12-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
The tablets run off of my J1708 and J1939 data busses.. on a 1998 unless you have md3060 transmission you will only have j1708 and you can get it right off the diagnostic connector so you could easily mount the tablet in the center console.
Attachment 52160

Christopher
Hi Christopher, I think you have mentioned it somewhere but which software do you recommend to be able to read codes and monitor gauges? I received my adapter (j1708 I think)...

Thank you,
Josh
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote