Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2021, 08:41 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the sensor near the Y should be the MAP.. it shouldve turned on the WARN light when you unplugged it and will set a code.. you can read the flash codes with the diagnostic button near your 6 or 9 pin round connector. the only scan tool that will correctly read the IH data is ServiceMaxx on a Nexiq or clone or if he has a true MD / HD scan tool he can read it but some of the universal tools dont do a good job esp with the older 3 box systems.

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: Bluebird TC2000 Short Bus
Engine: 5.9
That's exactly what it did. As soon as I unplug it, the warn light comes on, and sets the map low voltage error code. The guy down the road is a heavy diesel mechanic, I think he has the good stuff for working on the trucks... We'll see...
rlg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:45 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Have you actually tested for boost leaks , turbo failure , etc? It’s possible the computer slows down fuel if it doesn’t see a normal progression of boost build.

Bill would know more of the 3 box system has the algorithm to secure on low boost …. Of course the diesel mechanics scan tool will show what it thinks the boost is.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:42 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

What is a three box system? I've got the big ecm on the side of the engine. I think I've eliminated fueling and boost issues, because it runs great with the map disconnected. If I could simply get a part number for the factory map sensor, I think I'll be ok. I don't think it has the correct map sensor installed. It hasn't ran right since I bought it, and it has had other weird stuff done to it elsewhere, so who knows what parts they have swapped out before now. I may need to start a new thread, this one is too long and no one is reading all the stuff that I've gone over so far. Thanks for all the input and help.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:32 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Sorry o got you mixed up for some reason I thought you were a 1995 year, that’s another 444e I was talking to someone about.

The best way to get a good part number is to call an IH dealer with your VIN, act like you need the sensor , get the price and part number. If it’s not crazy just get it there.. or you can order it online.. but I’ll say that many have had issues with cheap crap online like dorman brand. I buy the name parts like Alliant or reliance and haven’t had issues.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

No worries. I appreciate all the input. I called the IH dealer in SC today, and he quoted the same 1840078C1 part number for the Map sensor that I put in and had to return. But that one was from Amazon, I believe. Like you said, Cadillackid, the OEM ones are probably the only ones to use. I'll have it tomorrow, so we will see!
Old 08-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Well the $140 genuine International sensor did the same thing as the $20 Amazon one did. Sluggish and wouldn't build boost. Checked the voltage and resistance of the harness. <5 ohms to gnd for pin a, more than 1k ohms to gnd for pins b and c. Power on engine off, I had 5v at pin b, .8 at pin c. While driving, pin c never got above 1.7v. Should go close to 5v at full boost. Ohmed out harness and pin c to pin 30 on ecm checked out good. Removed connector and she runs like a scalded dog. Guess I'm going to have to live with the warn light on all the time. I bet International won't be as accommodating on returning the sensor as Amazon was. UGH.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:04 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Could there possibly be some sort of "Low HP tune" installed on this ECM? I think the PO said it may have came from a military base or some other gov agency. Maybe they have it set to some crazy low hp for safety?? I know nothing about the T444e programming and how it is set up. Once I remove the map sensor connector, maybe the default fueling program is higher than what this thing is programmed for??? Sounds crazy, I know, just grasping at straws right now.