Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #1

1999 3800

My husband and I are downsizing to a bus so we can visit our children. So we are new to this, but trying to navigate buying a bus. We have done a lot of reading on engines and transmissions. I would like to know any thoughts on a 1999 international 3800 7.6? It has 165,000 miles and the school district says no leaks of any type and in great running condition. We asked about the undercarriage and they said they cleaned it every year and rustproofed every year since the bus was new. Would just be curious from someone familiar with this engine. Thank you

BSNAMOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e, Alison 2000 transmission
Do you know the engine make and model? DT466 or DT466e,.......
Also depending on where you want to go with it, what is the transmission?
If it comes from a School district they for sure have a maintenance record, make sure you can have a look at it before you buy it.

if it is a DT466e (electronic fuel injection) which has a 7.6l displacement, its a great engine but less easy to work on then a DT466 (mechanical fuel injection).

My bus is a international 3800 with a DT466e and a allison 2000 transmission. great combination in my opinion. the 466e has a harder time cold starting then then 466 that is because of the emissions changes according to international, but mine starts just fine when it is cold, i just pump the primer a bit just to make sure there is a good amount of fuel already up front.
Markusbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
1999 7.6 should be a DT466. Good engine, as opposed to the MaxxFarce DT 7.6. Verify the seller's claims, transmission is important....
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allison Trans ID.png
Views:	6
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	51121
EDIT: Would also recommend you check any potential candidates over with this:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/re...ist-33026.html
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e, Alison 2000 transmission
If the school district bought the bus new they will have a build sheet on file. It should tell you exactly which features the bus has, the engine, transmission, tank capacity, any aux heaters, exhaust breaks, cruise control, chassis reinforcements,....
Markusbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #5

I messaged to which 466 engine. I do know he said a Allison 545 transmission. I spoke with the school today. We are going down to look at it tomorrow. He said the tires are great and it isn’t blowing any smoke. He said they bought the bus brand new and they have every service record on it. Any suggestions on what to look for in the records besides the oil etc? Thank you very much for your insight
BSNAMOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Fluid analysis for oil, coolant and trans fluid would be good if timeframe allows. Cheap, easy way to get a good idea of the health of the mechanicals.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote