Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #1

2000 International 3800 DT466e

Purchased the bus from a private seller on craigslist after having it inspected and test driven by a mechanic. The mechanic said everything looked to be in good shape, so we went for it. The seller was supposed to drive the bus to me (3.5 hours away). 2 hours into drive he said the bus was having an issue so delivered keys and title but left bus. The next day my boyfriend and I drove up to get it. It started immediately, and I drove it to get gas (was on a 1/4 tank) and to another local mechanic to get it looked over and a fuel filter change (seller said he thought that was the issue). The bus died when I stopped it to reverse into a parking spot. Mechanic saw this, looked it over, replaced fuel filter and tail lights, and said I was good to go, bus was in great shape. It recently had an oil change and oil filter change as well.

Less than a mile down the road it broke down again, once I came to a stop. The pattern seems to be: If it stops, it will refuse to accelerate while in drive. It still sounds as if it is accelerating if it is in neutral, but when I put it in drive and press on the accelerator, NOTHING. Then I turn it off, turn it back on (it began to refuse to turn over as well but each time eventually would start), wait for air brakes to warm up, and it might accelerate then. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. Took me over an hour to drive six mins away back to the shop, due to the constant stopping and starting. I know the bus made it two hours the day before, so not sure what is going on. Mechanic's don't seem to be able to see what's wrong either. HELP!

Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
It allmost sounds like the torque converter is locking up when it's not supposed to and killing the engine. Check the charging system too.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Purchased the bus from a private seller on craigslist after having it inspected and test driven by a mechanic. The mechanic said everything looked to be in good shape, so we went for it. The seller was supposed to drive the bus to me (3.5 hours away). 2 hours into drive he said the bus was having an issue so delivered keys and title but left bus. The next day my boyfriend and I drove up to get it. It started immediately, and I drove it to get gas (was on a 1/4 tank) and to another local mechanic to get it looked over and a fuel filter change (seller said he thought that was the issue). The bus died when I stopped it to reverse into a parking spot. Mechanic saw this, looked it over, replaced fuel filter and tail lights, and said I was good to go, bus was in great shape. It recently had an oil change and oil filter change as well.

Less than a mile down the road it broke down again, once I came to a stop. The pattern seems to be: If it stops, it will refuse to accelerate while in drive. It still sounds as if it is accelerating if it is in neutral, but when I put it in drive and press on the accelerator, NOTHING. Then I turn it off, turn it back on (it began to refuse to turn over as well but each time eventually would start), wait for air brakes to warm up, and it might accelerate then. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. Took me over an hour to drive six mins away back to the shop, due to the constant stopping and starting. I know the bus made it two hours the day before, so not sure what is going on. Mechanic's don't seem to be able to see what's wrong either. HELP!
Idk...is there a computer involved? A tcm/ecm?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
lots of things here.. . what year? what engine? what transmission?

after you stop does the engine actually stall out(where you have to start it again?) or the bus just wont move when you let off the brakes? hit the gas and it sounds like its straining? or does the RPM just stay low like idle when you hit the pedal in D.

what is your air-pressure after you stop? is it still above 75-80. or is it dropping real low when stopping?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #5

It's a 2000 DT466e diesel with an automatic transmission. The engine doesn't stall or strain, it just seems to idle. When I try to accelerate in drive there is just no engine response whatsoever. In neutral the engine revs. The mechanic just said there is a crack in the primer and it needs a new one. He quoted me $318 for that. I asked if he had run a diagnostic but he said no if I wanted that done it would be $100. What do you guys think? I'm really inexperienced, and the mechanic knows that. He even said, "I'll explain this to you even though you don't know what I'm talking about." I know what a primer is...jeez haha.
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It's really sounding like you need to be at a different shop. If that mechanic is continuing to fix things that don't improve the running condition of the bus, he's just taking advantage of you. Just my opinion.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Is the peddle drive by wire or connected via a physical cable? I am no expert but maybe the lift / injection pump or some pump is bad that with the strain on the engine from the trans being engaged it don't have enough power to rev up.

Do you feel the trans engage and does the bus try to craw along on it's own when it's in drive?
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Do you have an air throttle?

Mine is driven from the auxiliary tank, which leaks. When the engine starts I have no throttle until pressure builds. The brakes stay aired-up for weeks.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
Quote:
It's a 2000 DT466e diesel with an automatic transmission. The engine doesn't stall or strain, it just seems to idle. When I try to accelerate in drive there is just no engine response whatsoever. In neutral the engine revs. The mechanic just said there is a crack in the primer and it needs a new one. He quoted me $318 for that.
Do you see where the fuel filter and primer are located? Generally on the left side of the DT466e. You should easily be able tell if there is indeed a crack in the primer. When you push down on it does fuel seep out? Also, do yourself a favor and purchase a fuel pressure gauge and measure the fuel pressure from the Schrader valve on the fuel filter housing. The fuel pressure should be ~70psi.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
466e, is the check engine light on? If so, do the diagnostic and see what the codes are.

No air throttle, throttle cable, or anything on his rig. It's electronic. If it had an issue with the throttle, 98% of the time the check engine light would have illuminated.

If there is no light, make sure the fuel pressure is good and that it is air free. If that checks out, make sure the pcm is getting battery voltage and the alternator is working. Most of the time, low voltage will throw a light, but occasionally it doesn't. Check that the fuses in the box are clean and corrosion free, along with the battery terminals.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:

Hey! did yall get it figured out, i have the same exact issue with my 3800DT 466e, i was told numerous things and im about to tackle it but seeing that this post is older i thought maybe id get some foresight. Thanks!
4broskisandatrapbus is offline   Reply With Quote