Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2022, 08:20 PM   #1

2001 international 3800 t444e coolant leak

First post hereócould use help identifying the source of this leak. First noticed it after a month of cold weather. Itís coming from near the oil filter, but I canít tell where. Relatively slow leak, but new drops every day. No milky oil present, just these pink drops repeatedly dripping.

Sorry for the wonky orientation of photos.
Attached Thumbnails
A0AE487B-F5AA-4047-ACAA-CD29967A9D8B.jpg   3192D162-D569-48FD-9CE6-FB59C5368BAB.jpg   E932A34E-5A73-44C0-BD82-5F386AE0A6DA.jpg  

coyotesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:42 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 24
I don't think anyone's going to be able to make anything out from those pictures that would be of any use to you. Someone really familiar with your bus / engine might be able to give you a list of possibilities based on what's in the general viscinity above the filter, but even then it could be coolant blowing onto the filter from the fan or trickling down hoses/wiring/etc from a far-away source. It could pretty much be coming from anywhere.

Think you're going to have to do the tedious work of tracking it down. Pressurizing the system may help little leaks become a bit bigger & easier to find.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:21 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
that fitting with the fuzz on it, I would suspect that first. Your pink is antifreeze I bet. The oil cooler is main item in pics, they have to be resealed every now and then plus they have both oil and antifreeze running through them so I'd start looking in that area first.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:20 AM   #4

Pressure test was completed already, no sign of leaks anywhere but near the oil filter. Fairly certain it is the oil cooler—a bad o-ring, gasket, or both.

Appreciate your reply, and I’ll try to get a better photo and stick labels on it.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:38 PM   #5

Hereís a better photo. It looks like the oil cooler is the culprit in one way or another. Anybody have experience or advice for removal/replacement? Iíve watched a few videos, and it looks simple enough, but those feel like famous last words.
Attached Thumbnails
7745D0A4-F727-413C-8EC2-5EBCE1FDDD51.jpg  
Old 03-24-2022, 05:22 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
O rings shrink with time so now it's leaking and time to rebuild (i've done my dt466, C7, 7.3 powerstroke, 5.9, plus large hyd pump systems) Na it's easy, the only thing is that you are into both liquid systems on the engine, antifreeze and oil, don't get them mixed together and it makes a real mess. The coolant has to be drained of course and it might be a good time to change the oil too. The aluminum gets pitted on the housing so pay close attention to the oring areas and replace if it's pitted real bad where they seal. Getting that thing clean is a bugger so if you can separate the oil cooler from the ends a sandblaster does a great job of that and really brings out the pitted areas for closer inspection(no sandblasting the heat exchanger itself). Also look at the cooler itself and if the coolant went south and clogged it up, then it may need attention or replaced. (if in doubt let a dealer or diesel shop take a look at it) If it's clean then a seal set from a dealer or auto parts store, fresh paint job after cleaning all sand out and it's ready to go back on.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, international, leak, oil filter, t444e