Old 02-07-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

2001 International front wheel bearing?

Hello Everyone!

I picked my bus up last night and drove it 30ish miles home, mostly highway. It drove like a dream! Cruise control held it comfortably at 60 even up and down hills at around 2400 rpm, so I'm very pleased with that! 2001 International 72 passenger with the 6 cylinder. It has 162k miles and 10k hours. It was a rural bus.

The question I have is with a noise. I haven't ridden a school bus in 15ish years and even longer since I rode in one going highway speeds. I can't remember them being so loud. It sounds a little bit rumble, but doesn't have that whine a failed bearing has. The sound rises and falls with road speed not RPM leading me to think it may be something like wheel bearings or carrier bearings, if its anything at all. Another thing i noticed is that there is a decent amount of seepage from the hub cap. I pulled the caps off and the oil level seems a little bit low, but not bad.

So what are your thoughts? I planned to try lifting the front end up 1 corner at a time this weekend and check for wheel play and noise. Anything else i should be looking at? Thanks for the help!
Aberry08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I just reposted this in the general mechanical forum. I meant to do it there in the first place. Sorry, new guy problems!
Aberry08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearing, loud, noise