Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

2006-International-CE

So I found this midsize at auction. It has the DT466 (207k) in it. Also air brakes
don't know what transmission yet.

Two things that concern me Mileage and (and this one is probably minor, but since I don't know what to look for) It's missing it's oil and coolant reservoir (is that the overflow or the radiator?) cap. I know neither of those is expensive, I'm more worried if them not being there could be cause for concern. I know on old cars somtimes if you were having overheating problems you'd get a reduced pressure cap..

Right now it's at about 3k ::shrugs::

pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Please clarify "missing its oil....". Oil what? Oil cap?

Per the coolant reservoir, are you stating it's cap is also missing? In modern vehicles, the radiator doesn't generally have a cap. The coolant reservoir cap is pressure rated and this is where you add more coolant.

If you're telling us that the oil and coolant caps are missing, then that would be a concern to me as you don't know how long they have been off and who know what has gotten into the engine or reservoir.

Per the "3k", what is that referring to??
Old 05-05-2021, 09:01 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: International VT365
Rated Cap: 71 pass
Not a bad find. Mileage is a bit high but it also depends on how it was driven, either city or highway.

Transmission most likely will be an Allison 2500 PTS transmission. (Maybe even a 3000 PTS)

Now in terms of the DT466, the oil is marked by a yellow cap, which also doubles as the dipstick and it sits next to the transmission fill and dipstick. So the only “reservoir” on the motor would be the coolant, and it sits alongside the radiator. If the cap is missing on both of them, then it’s concerning on what may have gotten into the motor.

I’ve studied these IC buses aplenty. I own one, same year with a VT365 motor. But I’ve driven the DT ones too. Attached is a photo I found online showing what you’d be looking at. In the engine bay.

Oil fill/dipstick is yellow, transmission fill/dipstick marked red, coolant tank is black attached to radiator support.
Flying I 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:02 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Please clarify "missing its oil....". Oil what? Oil cap?

Per the coolant reservoir, are you stating it's cap is also missing? In modern vehicles, the radiator doesn't generally have a cap. The coolant reservoir cap is pressure rated and this is where you add more coolant.

If you're telling us that the oil and coolant caps are missing, then that would be a concern to me as you don't know how long they have been off and who know what has gotten into the engine or reservoir.

Per the "3k", what is that referring to??
Yes it is the oil cap and coolant cap that are missing. The 3k is the price the auction is currently at
Old 05-05-2021, 11:18 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Here's a pic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5vxjdezmd...20bus.JPG?dl=0
Old 05-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #6
Almost There

Not a bad find. Mileage is a little bit concerning but it depends on how it was driven (either city driving or mostly highway running) Transmission would be either an Allison 2500 PTS or a 3000 PTS

In terms of the engine, the DT 466 doesn’t really have a cap for oil, instead the “cap” doubles as the oil dipstick (marked yellow) and the coolant reservoir is attached to the radiator support with a pressure cap on it. Looking at the picture, I would be concerned as to what may have gotten into both the coolant reservoir and the engine itself. Using a borescope camera to peek in the engine would be advised.

For 3K and a DT motor, it sounds like a good find, and may be all in order, but there are a few things to be considered: 1. how it was driven, 2. maintenance and 3. why it’s being auctioned off.

I have an 06 IC of my own (VT365 motor) so ideally there are a few things to be taken into consideration when purchasing one. By the looks of the photo, (visually) all looks to be in order besides the oil cap/dipstick missing and the coolant reservoir cap missing.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying I 365 View Post
Transmission would be either an Allison 2500 PTS or a 3000 PTS

I
What Does PTS mean? Also are these pretty solid? Have lockup? I am happy it doesn't have the 545.

One thing that kind of scares me about the bus is that it's so new (electronics)
Old 05-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdreams View Post
What Does PTS mean? Also are these pretty solid? Have lockup? I am happy it doesn't have the 545.

One thing that kind of scares me about the bus is that it's so new (electronics)
PTS stands for Pupil Transport Shuttle. It's a series of trannies from Allison.

When I don't understand something that's been mentioned, I take the information, in this case Allison 2500 PTS, and Google it before asking for clarification on here.

I find it cuts down on posts, gets me answers more quickly and I learn a lot along the way.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
PTS stands for Pupil Transport Shuttle.
I've read it means "People Transport System". In my head it's always "Pass The Soup", though.

Edit: huh, I guess it is "Pupil Transport/Shuttle". https://www.allisontransmission.com/...a-school-buses I wonder if it's one of those things where they keep the acronym but change what it stands for from time to time.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I've read it means "People Transport System". In my head it's always "Pass The Soup", though.
My first thought was "Please Take Shelter"
Old 05-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #11
Almost There

Quote:

According to Allison, unless I’m mistaken, PTS means that the transmission has hardened internals for the constant “stop-go” usage of a school bus. Ideally the transmission is quite good.

In terms of the electronics, compared to the newest buses that are out on the road, the 2006 is a bit old-fashioned if you will, but it depends on what it was optioned with at time of manufacture.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
I wouldn't be too worried about the consequences of the missing caps. Drop the oil pan maybe, to be sure nobody put some gravel or other things in it. The dirt and other fine particles would be trapped by the oil filter. And two or three coolant flushes.
Have another look at the engine, to be sure nothing else is missing ...
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I would ask a question of the auction seller why are the caps missing.. oil and water caps missing concern me because one of the 466's biggest flaws is if its been overheated it can easily ruin the cylinder liner seals which is an in-frame teardown to repair.. it may just be they kept them t ouse on other busses..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:39 PM   #14
Almost There

Yeah it is. A time consuming job and a bit costly as well. Ballpark anywhere from $500 to $1,000+ for a rebuild kit depending on where you look.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Another question

Not really sure if I should start another thread on this.. but here goes

Does anyone have an idea what the black things under this bus are? At first
I thought they might be storage boxes, but they seem shallow. However it appears (from the pics) that they run all the way across

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ooxhnl0cxgpms9b/bus1.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8m6dfbsou6b3vou/bus2.JPG?dl=0
Old 05-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #16
Bus Nut

For me, the pictures are too fuzzy, dark and far away to determine what those are.

It's probably better to attach the pictures to your post.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
For me, the pictures are too fuzzy, dark and far away to determine what those are.

It's probably better to attach the pictures to your post.
Wish I could. I've never been able to do that. I know the procedure, but they never appear.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:52 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Wish I could. I've never been able to do that. I know the procedure, but they never appear.
You might be missing the message that the pictures have to be a certain size or smaller. I've had to reduce my picture sizes to get them to upload.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:27 AM   #19
Almost There

Based on the pics, even though they were a bit small. I’d be guessing AC ducting and condenser grills.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:25 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info guys. Sadly it's already been bid out of my budget.