Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #1

Year: 88
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 7.9 Diesel Brazilian
Rated Cap: 44
345 in S1723: Rebuild or Swap?

I have a 345 in an '82 S1723 Wayne, 11 row, 5x2. I got the bus free with the 345 already dead. I'm researching options. rebuild the 345 (I think it has a blown head) or swap it out? I've been told there are some engine option both gas and Diesel that will fit it without major remodels.. I also have an '88 FORD B700, brazilian diesel, Wayne, 5x2, 11 row. I like the diesel.

I drove several "binder" dump trucks back in the '70s and was never very impressed with their gas engines. The only IH diesel trucks I ever drove were COE semis with big cummins engines.

Does anyone know what sort of engines might bolt up to the IH/spicer bell housing?

A guy on another list thought the 1st gen 5.9 ltr cummins would bolt up. I know a guy who put one in a 2000 FORD 350 4x4 but he had to do a lot of machine work (he is a machinist so no big deal) and I know a guy who has one in a marine application and it has nothing but power but again, he had to do machining.

IF you have any info, thanx

ebyrd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53
Re: 345 in S1723: Rebuild or Swap?

I wouldn't rebuild that gas motor, and I wouldn't try to keep the tranny. No medium duty gas engines are very powerful. They have very low compression because they have to be run at high loading and you don't want detonation destroying them. I had a truck with a Ford LN700 FT361 gas motor and a Clark 5-speed with a 2-speed axle. You could run faster than that truck for a city block. Your axle is going to be a problem if you swap in a diesel. I haven't seen a 2-speed axle with a decent gear ration. It's usually about 9-1 low and 6-1 high--they are made to let a pathetic little gas motor move a big vehicle. That axle is going to have to go if you are going to use this on the interstate with a diesel.

The cool thing about trucks like this is that they are Erector Sets. Just throw away the bits you don't want and bolt in the bits you do. It's a cool old bus body and is worth finding the things that will make it work for you.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Re: 345 in S1723: Rebuild or Swap?

I wouldn't bother with the gas motor either. Gas engines aren't at home in a school bus.

You'll have to find out what housing pattern your transmission has in order to find out what will currently bolt up to it. I've seen the IH/spicer trans but can't remember what it used. Either way I'd ditch the rear axle and transmission because they're not a desirable combo with a diesel engine.

As far as the 5.9 cummins goes. It depends on what you pull it out of. You'll have to see what flywheel housing is behind it in order to determine transmission options. As in one out of a dodge will have the dodge transmission bolt pattern while one out of a medium duty truck might have an sae# 2 or 3 pattern. Certain marine applications might have a different pattern as well. A 6bt cummins will do fine behind a bus. If you're looking for one, get one with either a ve injection pump of p7100 injection pump as they are both mechanical engines. Anything later than that is electric which imo is undesirable unless you have the software to troubleshoot it.