Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

408 in an International

Anyone heard of or know if the 408 is a good engine. I been searching online and it seems they fall somewhere between a DT360 and DT466. If what I read is right they're pretty solid.

I'm asking because I'm on my way to look at one. If it's solid it's a good deal because it's got brand new tires (2k) and they're asking 3k

pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The DT408 is almost the same engine as the DT466. As memory serves me, the main difference is the cylinder liners and pistons. They are no longer available as IH reman engines; you'll get a DT466 in it's place. All the external parts should interchange. When it's time for a rebuild, you can build it into a DT466 quite easily (In fact, I don't even know if the 408 pistons and liners are even available).

Good engine, just as good as the DT466 (since it uses the same block and just about everything else).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:02 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Went and looked at it today. Quite a nice bus. It has a little rust that concerns me (but it is a 23 year ol bus). Both inside fender wells have a line of rust running all the way across. It's difficult to know exactly what I'm looking at, but first guess would be rust between fender well and floor. Little rust other common places. Door hinges on the back, handicap door, front door at the bottom.

I've just about sold myself on it. I mean it's got 2k in new tires and they're asking 3. It's a mid-size. I figure about 24' nose to tail.
pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote