Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2021, 09:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

68 International Fuel Pump

We've got a 68 international with the V304 V8 engine. We have deduced that our old mechanical fuel pump has died.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which aftermarket electric fuel pump would do the job? When this thing sits for long periods it takes AGES to get the fuel up to the carb.

The tank is to the rear of the door, id like to install the pump there so that when we go to crank her up we don't have to grind on the starter forever or fire her off with starter fluid.

whoolieshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:54 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I have been there and done that. I have a 69 Gillig with the super fast and powerful 345 5 speed combination. I had the best service with the Edelbrock pumps. Some pumps only lasted days. I added 2 more 35 gallon tanks and installed a pump at each tank. And I do mean at the tank. I retained the cam operated engine pump also. This gives redundancy and keeps me from being broken. Don’t let the fuel sit for extended periods. After a month or 2 I turn on a pump wait until it stops clicking pull the choke tromp the pedal 3-4 times and it starts.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:56 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
I have been there and done that. I have a 69 Gillig with the super fast and powerful 345 5 speed combination. I had the best service with the Edelbrock pumps. Some pumps only lasted days. I added 2 more 35 gallon tanks and installed a pump at each tank. And I do mean at the tank. I retained the cam operated engine pump also. This gives redundancy and keeps me from being broken. Don’t let the fuel sit for extended periods. After a month or 2 I turn on a pump wait until it stops clicking pull the choke tromp the pedal 3-4 times and it starts.

something like this?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...b0/17301?pos=2

38 gph electric inline version?
Old 05-08-2021, 09:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

I should add that if the diaphragm in the engine driven pump breaks gasoline will flow into the crankcase. I would recommend keeping it in good repair and just adding an electric pump to help.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:00 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Those are the ones I used. My son worked at oreilly and got the employee discount for me.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:05 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I should add that if the diaphragm in the engine driven pump breaks gasoline will flow into the crankcase. I would recommend keeping it in good repair and just adding an electric pump to help.

Yeah I don’t want that, looks like I can order a new one for about $50 don’t know if they make a rebuild kit
Old 05-08-2021, 10:08 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

I have never seen a rebuild kit.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:14 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

I also converted it over to a Ford Autolite carburetor because the darned Holley was always leaking after it would sit and gaskets dry out. They switch fuel here twice a year E10 from October to April and RFG May to September. It is hard on rubber compounds.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:14 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I don't know the pressure output of those pumps, but I know from experience (it was a surprise, for sure!) that if the pressure from any electric pumps ahead of the mechanical pump is too high it will bleed fuel through a port on the mechanical pump. Unfortunately, I didn't have a gauge on it so I don't know what that pressure was.

s2mikon, I presume you didn't have that issue with these pumps? I like the idea of a priming pump, so if they worked for you I plan to try one.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:18 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I also converted it over to a Ford Autolite carburetor because the darned Holley was always leaking after it would sit and gaskets dry out. They switch fuel here twice a year E10 from October to April and RFG May to September. It is hard on rubber compounds.

It looks like mine already has an Autolite carb on it, I noticed the little stamped tag on it today while I was in the engine bay working on her
Old 05-08-2021, 10:19 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I don't know the pressure output of those pumps, but I know from experience (it was a surprise, for sure!) that if the pressure from any electric pumps ahead of the mechanical pump is too high it will bleed fuel through a port on the mechanical pump. Unfortunately, I didn't have a gauge on it so I don't know what that pressure was.

s2mikon, I presume you didn't have that issue with these pumps? I like the idea of a priming pump, so if they worked for you I plan to try one.

That’s a good question do you leave the electric one running all the time or just until you get her primed?
Old 05-08-2021, 10:20 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

I have 2 internationals setup that way and have not had any issues. Edelbrock claims 4-7 pounds. I would be suprised if they push more than 3.5-4 psi.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:21 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

I leave them on. They can create a restriction if turned off.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:23 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

They also function as my fuel tank switch valve. I have LPG gasoline lockoffs ahead of each pump.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:30 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Ha...s2mikon...I didn't read thoroughly. The issue I described was with a Detroit 6-71. Never mind!

I am going to get, and try, one of these pumps though. My other one got up above 10 psi, I'm sure.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote