Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 03:43 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Carrier breaks will likely be prevalent going from the 5s to the 3s, meaning you’ll likely need a different carrier. If you don’t feel comfortable setting up the gears, there’s lots of shops that can install the gears and carrier into your 3rd member.

You’ll need to set pinion depth as well as lash. On the spicer and Rockwell stuff I believe you shim the pinion and then lash is set by rotating the bearing retainers. A bit different than the GMC stuff I’ve done.

I used a trans jack and couple piece of wood as a jig so I could set my 3rd member on the jack platform.. couple long bolts i cut the head off screwed into the housing I used as slide guides to line up the 3rd as it went into place.. gray gear oil RTV as the gasket and done.
Tires don’t even have to come off the bus.

Weller truck parts is a good resource to look for parts, they have shops all over the country.

I went from 7.17?to 4.78 on my superior

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:07 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I wish I had a 3.90 or a 4.10 in mine.. my 3.54 with Double OverDrive is Too Tall,....

You’ll need to set pinion depth as well as lash. On the spicer and Rockwell stuff I believe you shim the pinion and then lash is set by rotating the bearing retainers. A bit different than the GMC stuff I’ve done........
Are you talking about directly measuring the pinion depth to start? That method will work but It never made sense to me to buy Tools that cost that much. If you just take your time and do it the old school way and it will all come out exactly the same.

I just happen to have a set of 4.10 gears for a Rockwell 145 series Axle.
If you are interested, Take a look and see what model axle you have.
They are not as hard to install as most people think.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:42 PM   #23

The bus I have converted is a 96 International with a 5 speed, but it is a T444E. I also drive a 95 DT466 (non-electronic) bus with the 6+1 transmission. Love that drivetrain! That bus is for sale but the body is junk. You could get it for $1000.
wlgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:39 AM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Corbiel
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 36 pass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittybilt View Post
Were there ever any busses produced in the early 2k's with a standard transmission? The experience I personally have with the DT466 was back then, I was working for a line clearance tree company and my tree truck was set up with the DT466 and a 6 speed manual transmission. I loved this set up, it worked really well around town as well as out on the highway. I have not spent too much time looking for a bus specifically with a standard transmission, but in the searching I have done I have not seen one. Just curious if they were ever offered. Or, on the other hand, how much of an ordeal would it be to convert?

Thanks to anyone who might shed a little light on the situation.
Smitty
Standard advice is to get the bus with the powertrain you want as converting later will probably cost more than the bus is worth. This was certainly the case for me.

I replaced the AT545 in my 93 ford/Cummins with a 6 speed. I had to scrounge up a clutch pedal assembly and linkages, SAE#2 clutch housing/engine adapter, flywheel, clutch, different starter, had the driveshaft modified, etc. Changing the stuff out was not complicated but certainly time consuming.

I had no luck ordering parts (not even the transmission) everyone wants to know the part # which of course you don't have! The only upside is that you can inspect/rebuild as you go.

Changing the gear ratio is pretty straight forward and with a little asking around you can figure out what that would cost on a bus you are interested in. You have experience with the 466 so you have an idea of what gear ratios would be reasonable for the size of bus you choose and you can get a lot of feedback here on the forum.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my rear diff is smaller.. the GVWR of that bus is only 17500. so its got a Spicer 110 / S135. (the tag says that.. so I hae no idea whether i have a 110 or a 135 since both are on the tag)...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: IH3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittybilt View Post
Were there ever any busses produced in the early 2k's with a standard transmission? The experience I personally have with the DT466 was back then, I was working for a line clearance tree company and my tree truck was set up with the DT466 and a 6 speed manual transmission. I loved this set up, it worked really well around town as well as out on the highway. I have not spent too much time looking for a bus specifically with a standard transmission, but in the searching I have done I have not seen one. Just curious if they were ever offered. Or, on the other hand, how much of an ordeal would it be to convert?

Thanks to anyone who might shed a little light on the situation.
Smitty
Oregon is a great place to get a 466 with a standard. We just bought a 2002 466E with a 5 speed. There were several available when we bought ours.
Maligator. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:16 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Picked up a 96 466 with a 6+1 in it.
Seems solid, but I’ve got other issues to tackle before I can really “give’r the gears”
Crlefley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:37 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crlefley View Post
Picked up a 96 466 with a 6+1 in it.
Seems solid, but I’ve got other issues to tackle before I can really “give’r the gears”
If you consider needing a full engine rebuild to be "solid".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote