Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2022, 07:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: RE 300
Engine: DT 466E EGR, 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 56 (coach seats)
Aftermarket fuel filter units?

I've got a 2005 IC RE300 with a DT466E w/EGR and a 105 gallon tank. Bus ran quite well last summer for a 10,000 mile trip cross country. I found the fuel filter to be appallingly dirty when I serviced the bus afterwards. I know that the lift pump is located on the engine and the fuel is purely under suction from the tank all the way to the fuel water separator and pump attached to the engine. Since the system is under vacuum is there a good way to add additional filtration? I know my tank is likely dirty, but I want to prolong filter life at the engine and get the cleanest fuel possible. I have some concerns about entrained air, but I can't justify the cost of something like an AirDog or a FASS for the amount of time it will be driven.

Anyone familliar with the RACOR 500FG10 turbine style filter or the Davco Diesel Pro? Are there other units that I should consider? Is it worth adding more filtration with a pre-filter upstream of the factory fuel filter in the engine compartment? I change my fuel filters at every lube oil service every 10K or 300 hours, (whichever comes first). There seems to be little information on this, but the filter seems to be less effective than it should be to me, and I would like to improve filtration.

Jonnie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Are you sure you don't have one under the bus? Mine has a 900 series racor 30 micron at the tank.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:45 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I have been over every inch under the bus and there is no additional filter in line between the tank and the engine.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I bought this unit off ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/22201822588...53.m1438.l2649 It uses a fairly common racor aquablock 30 micron filter, and works perfect as a primary filter/ water seperator. You can get smaller microns, but I was told not to if you're using a primary and secondary fuel filter arrangement. I was also told, the more this is plugged, the less efficient it is at removing water, so you don't want too small of a micron. Removing water is the main reason I wanted to run a primary filter, and I used this because it came with a hand pump as well, which is needed on an engine with a mechanical lift pump.

If I wanted better, I'd look into installing a davco unit https://www.davco.com/products.html. They're commonly used on semi trucks, and have a clear filter housing that you can use to monitor water entrapment and filter plugged level. Probably find one used off a wrecked semi for cheap if you know where to look.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:27 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I recently bought a Racor 900FH primary fuel filter to replace my old 900FG with its discolored bowl, and I've also fitted the optional fuel heater and water-in-fuel sensor to the FH. Racor makes very good filters - that's why there are so many Chinese knock-off copies on eBay! Davco are also well regarded. To me, the main reason for a Racor (or similar) primary filter is to eliminate any water in the fuel before it can blow the tips off your injectors, or worse. The more filtration, the better!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:34 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
The base and bowl might be knockoffs on the ebay unit I bought, but the filter is near genuine as far as I can tell. We've got genuine racors on the shelf and comparing the two, I couldn't tell a difference.

Watch some of those ebay units, If they show an o-ring in the picture with the plugs/fittings, the listing says they're npt, but I believe the threads are actually straight metric and require o-ring sealed fittings that aren't commonly available. You want npt, which is a tapered pipe, which requires sealant or tape not an o-ring.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:39 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

thanks for all the replies everyone!
Old 02-07-2022, 01:17 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Eugene, Oregon.
Anderson Brothers Heavy-Truck Wrecking (aka 'dismantlers').
Highway 99 at Beltloop.
My hobby is walking wrecking-yards.
I see wrecked trucks dismantled down to the frames... and they always leave the Racor-type filter mounts with the frame to go into the shredder.
I acquired several over the years for sometimes us$5 (five FRNs), sometimes free; the new filter element inserts are usually triple that cost and more.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:18 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie B. View Post
I've got a 2005 IC RE300 with a DT466E w/EGR and a 105 gallon tank. Bus ran quite well last summer for a 10,000 mile trip cross country. I found the fuel filter to be appallingly dirty when I serviced the bus afterwards. I know that the lift pump is located on the engine and the fuel is purely under suction from the tank all the way to the fuel water separator and pump attached to the engine. Since the system is under vacuum is there a good way to add additional filtration? I know my tank is likely dirty, but I want to prolong filter life at the engine and get the cleanest fuel possible. I have some concerns about entrained air, but I can't justify the cost of something like an AirDog or a FASS for the amount of time it will be driven.

Anyone familliar with the RACOR 500FG10 turbine style filter or the Davco Diesel Pro? Are there other units that I should consider? Is it worth adding more filtration with a pre-filter upstream of the factory fuel filter in the engine compartment? I change my fuel filters at every lube oil service every 10K or 300 hours, (whichever comes first). There seems to be little information on this, but the filter seems to be less effective than it should be to me, and I would like to improve filtration.
Have been a big fan of the RACOR filters with the drain on the bottom, makes it easy to check out the fuel quality. Run a 100 miles then drain a little bit and see how clean it is.
shorthair is offline   Reply With Quote