Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2023, 07:25 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E/AT545
Air Compressor Replacement

Thinking about doing the air compressor swap myself ( I was leaning toward hiring it out, but read about following bolt torque or cover could warp and got really scared to hire it out).

My question is how to handle the removal of the power steering pump and hoses.

Any tips? Like which hose to take off first? neat ways to catch fluid? I see the supply and return hoses, just wondering if there is an easy way to drain. Also, i suppose given the age it might not be a bad idea to replace the fluid. Anyone know what type of fluid to use?
Attached Thumbnails
20230331_122825.jpg  

GTSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:19 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I just always took the easiest hose to get to off to gain better access.. and had a bucket below.. if you pull the hose off from the reservoire to the pump first you'll have all the reservoie fluid you can catch at once....

when you put it back together takje the top off of your reservoire and see if theres a filter in it. both of my 3800s have power steering filters in the reservoire.. I change those when changing the fluid..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:25 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: International VT365
Rated Cap: 71 pass
I don’t think removing the power steering pump is necessary. The supply and return lines go to the steering gearbox on the frame and the lines should be relatively easy to move to access the air compressor (based on what I could see in the photo).

The power steering pump itself (on my VT365 anyway) is actually driven by the flywheel on the back of the engine. A DT466E might have it the same way where the pump is driven from the back. Belt routing is a good way to tell. (It was how I figured out my pump was driven from the back, simply seeing the belt routed around the alternator, an idler pulley, belt tensioner, water pump, and crank pulley)

As for draining the system, an idea would possibly be to drain it from the steering gearbox return line (maybe with the engine running a bit to force the fluid out with the pump) though I could be wrong.
Flying I 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:29 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

So got it off and out...how do I keep compressor from spinning while trying to get the lock nut off?
Attached Thumbnails
20230408_122602.jpg  
Old 04-09-2023, 07:40 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
usually an impact will pop that nut off .. at least it did on my air compressor.. never tried to do it with a wrench.. otherwise you might be able to wrap a rag around the gear and hold it with an extra large pair of channel locks or in a vice enough to hit that nut with an impact.. the impact essentially spins the nut faster than the inertia of the compressor can be overcome. capping the air output line might create some more resistance as well..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:00 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

So I got the lock nut off and my little Ryobi impact got it!!! Then came the gear. After bolt shearing the linkage on 2 ton gear puller (oops there went $50) i loaned a 7 ton from OReilly's. After some minor manipulation and a 2ft cheater bar, it came off with a bang!

MY QUESTION:
So I was not able to measure with my micrometer due to like the machined surface being in the way. And with me not having basic tools like a metal ruler, i did not take a measurement. So is the distance the gear goes on the shaft critical or does it just go home until the nut stops (runs out of threads)?

Any other general tips putting this compressor back on?
  • I am a little concerned about it being dry and running a couple of hundered revolutions without oil until the oil pressure bleeds oil into the compressor bottom
  • I have the manual and its says to torque front cover bolts fist then slide support onto back
  • I intend to put the high temp thread sealant on all the pipe connections that are not JIC threads (coolant adapters into compressor, air discharge adapter into compressor, etc.)
Attached Thumbnails
20230410_201304.jpg   20230410_202226.jpg  
Old 04-12-2023, 11:19 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSailor View Post
So got it off and out...how do I keep compressor from spinning while trying to get the lock nut off?
Strap wrench will hold on until something breaks, a real strap wrench

here
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air compressor, compressor, power steering, steering