Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I changed the access for that document. Try this link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kRg...ew?usp=sharing

Dick

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #22
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Engine: 9L diesel
Thank you! Perfect! Ill print that at work tomorrow and have a read.

On my old damaged box i did take out a relief valve of some description, it was a spring loaded valve, and pushing the plunger part of the valve down (using a small lever press at work) i was able to exercise it up and down, each time some oil squirted out both ports(assuming that valve worked).

I think there is one here on the pump too, but im not sure if its just a fitting into the pump, ill have a look tomorrow and take it off, Would be great to find an issue here and be able to work it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks again man!
CCousins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #23
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Engine: 9L diesel
Quick update for anyone who has followed this post:

[IMG][/IMG]

Had the valve out at work and everything appears as it should, it wasn't stuck inside and there was spring tension upon removal, ive felt and inspected the valve and there appears to be no burs or damage nor inside the bore and it was clean in itself no tarnish.

Tested the part by pushing it in and out several times and couldnt get it to stick, Gave the valve a quick clean up and flush too before re-installing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ive inspected the shaft and there isnt any play (float/lift checked and radially with a clock) the movement of the shaft is very smooth and seals all look good, so on that basis i don't think i will be taking it apart. The pumps only covered 85k miles anyway, im sure theres original ones with many hundred thousand out there too?!

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally, having used a puller to get the pulley off, i have found the problem of the 'wobbly pulley' that i probably didn't mention before

The shaft has fretted excessively due to a loose nut and worn a nice step into the bore of the pulley and in the removal process taken what was left with it from the casting

On the positive side there is zero damage to the 'harder' shaft however will require another woodruff key.

I am now in the process of making a new stainless pulley sprocket out of billet at work on a lathe.

Im guessing after a quick look spares are no longer available! Let alone in the U.K

Im hoping i don't have to machine my way into every spare for this truck for the future!

On the basis of fixing it above, i have a re-con steering box coming over from the states for a very reasonable $650 which is about £460.

Im also happy with the pump and hoses now, so will change the belts and see how it goes. Wish me luck! Thanks for your help with this one.

- Going to look into fitting an IN-LINE relief valve in the pipework somehow, ill do a post when i do
CCousins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Shouldn't be too hard to fit a gauge to see what pressure is.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote