Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: International Harvester 1603
Engine: International Harvester SV304
Not too bad

My skoolie is a 1972 LoadStar 1600. I rebuilt the carb. and did a fair amount of brake work as well before moving on to the interior.
I didn't do the brake lines, but I have replaced the master cylinder and all four of the front slave cylinders.
The parts were not very expensive, and only moderately hard to find. Be aware that the brakes may be vacuum boost and will have dual hydo-vac boosters under the bus along with vac. storage tanks. My hydro-vac units were good, but bleeding the brakes is a bit of a big deal as you need to bleed them at the booster(s) first, then work your way down to the wheel cylinders. Dual system, so lots of bleeding... two bleeders on every wheel..
But great brakes when done. They will put you into the windshield if you really need them to in an emergency stop. Short version is: If you are mechanical... parts are not too bad...
Hydo-vac units can be expensive if you need them...

crowcreekcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #22
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
The gentleman I am purchasing it from is a certified mechanic who has too many outstanding projects and is making space to complete them.

When asked "if you had decided to finish the project; what would you repair?"
His reply:
1. fuel pump and the rubber lines to tank - the tank is good/dry no rust n clean
2.brake lines to rear and flush brake system
3.Tires
4. rebuild or new carb and Tune-up

Any resources you can provide for parts or labor in New Port Richey Fl or within 10 mi is highly appreciated!!! i have the 345 international engine 4 speed manual transmission. I have be blessed with this bus project! Thank you thank you thank you.
I'll be post my previous unfinish skoolie for sale soon. good day!
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #23
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
, im mechanical while being talked through it!!!
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:52 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmeskoolu View Post
The gentleman I am purchasing it from is a certified mechanic who has too many outstanding projects and is making space to complete them.

When asked "if you had decided to finish the project; what would you repair?"
His reply:
1. fuel pump and the rubber lines to tank - the tank is good/dry no rust n clean
2.brake lines to rear and flush brake system
3.Tires
4. rebuild or new carb and Tune-up

Any resources you can provide for parts or labor in New Port Richey Fl or within 10 mi is highly appreciated!!! i have the 345 international engine 4 speed manual transmission. I have be blessed with this bus project! Thank you thank you thank you.
I'll be post my previous unfinish skoolie for sale soon. good day!
Almost all of the parts and pieces to keep a Loadstar chassis going and an SV345 running are available at CARQUEST and NAPA. You might have to get creative and say it is a Scout or a pickup. Most of the engine parts are interchangeable between the applications. Just do not rely on the picture in the catalogue as they sometimes used a generic picture when they put the parts book online.

When it comes to the carb, depending upon how many miles you expect to drive you may want to upgrade to fuel injection and electronic ignition. Electronics will make the drivability go way up, you may experience better fuel mileage, and it will give you more go on the hills. Hamilton Fuel Injection

If you decide to stay with a carb, just be aware of the fact an SV engine needs a lot less carb than a small block Ford or Chevy. 350 CFM is about all you will need. The big difference is an SV engine tachs out around 3600 RPM's where the Ford and Chevy are just starting to get into the sweet zone. When you turn an engine up to 5,000 RPM's you need a lot more CFM in the carb to keep up.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I just found this post, and am another old International fan with a 345 and 5 speed in my 71 bus. Nice to see others with similer buses.
Attached Thumbnails
20181122_101124.jpg  
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #26
Almost There

several posts lately with cool old iron from the 70's

Been really cool to see some of the old loadstars and other 70's buses coming out of the woodwork last few days...

I really appreciate the work done on some of the newer rigs, but the older buses are what gets my motor running...
Old 02-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #27
Skoolie

Here's a 1968 Loadstar with a Superior body that my dad built in about 1980. Has a 392 with a 5 speed and a 2 speed rear axle. Not sure what gears in the back but will do 65 mph at 3400 rpm. The 38 year old paint job needs redone but the interior is really nice still. The nice thing about skoolies is they are so substantial that anything you screw into the inside of them stays put forever. I bought it from him in the early 90's after he built his second one and our family has had lots of fun trips in it. Its a bit underpowered with anything hooked on behind it so I bought an 8.1 chevy motor with an allison 6 speed that I want to swap into it one of these days. Double the horsepower and torque and hopefully close to the same gas mileage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5790.JPG   IMG_6012.JPG   IMG_6013.JPG   IMG_6022.JPG   IMG_6021.JPG  

84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:31 AM   #28
Almost There

Turning into a "calling all LoadStar" post!

I wonder if the bus in the original post ever started up?...
Regardless, I like the trend..!!

Bring on the LoadStars!
Old 02-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcreekcabin View Post
I wonder if the bus in the original post ever started up?...
Regardless, I like the trend..!!

Bring on the LoadStars!

I do wonder that too. Mine was about in the same condition when we started. A little over a year to get it running and build a new interior.

I hope they stuck with it and brought it back to life.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote