Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
AT545 temp sensor? 2000 T-444E

my trans gaige on the dash is defunct on the newer bus so I thought id start out at the sensor and work my way up...

I got underneath, found the electronic modulator and its wire.. then found 2 other connecters.. one on each side of the trans.. im assuming one is reverse light and the other is neutral safety?

so that leaves, wheres the temp sensor..

anyone that has a T-444E and an AT545 And a working trans temp gauge in the factory dashboard, can you look and see if you have any more wires coming off of your trans than the ones i have?

I know the MT643 has it in the pan, mine has a couple bungs on the pan that sre plugged off... those may be drain plugs?

im only interested in 545's behind a T-444E around year 2000 with a factory trans temp gauge that works...

I suspect maybe the sensor went bad or leaked or such and was removed.. or perhaps the trans was swapped with one that doesnt have a sender.. hard to tell on a 16 year old bus.

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Did you figure out anything on your 545 temp. Sensor? I would like to add one to mine.
I know the sensor on the right hand side/passenger/door side is for the backup lights and my 86 was a pressure switch but yours might be electronic.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Did you figure out anything on your 545 temp. Sensor? I would like to add one to mine.
I know the sensor on the right hand side/passenger/door side is for the backup lights and my 86 was a pressure switch but yours might be electronic.
not yet, i found a connector under there with 2 pins on it not taped over so im guessing it may be where a sensor was.. it looks liek the transmission was changed with a rebuilt unit at some point.. theres whats left of a tag on the side that has the start of a transmission shop name so they may not have replaced the sensor.. alot of 545's dodnt have them.. or maybe the sensor leaked and they capped it..

the lastest ive found is the sensors go in the pan on other allisons and i have a couple plugged bosses in the side of my pan so I can guess thats where the sensor goes..

my next move is to call IHC and see if they can look a temp sensor up by VIN.. since the dash panel has a gauge on it, theres a good chance i can get a part number for it
-Christopher
Old 10-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Keep me updated please. I want to add a temp sensor in mine but my pan has no bungs. I have read I think on hear I think is that the correct position to read the temp is on the fluid line leaving the tranny going to the cooling coil so that it reads the warmest temp fluid? Mine doesn't have a coil yet just a filter so at a minimum I can add a fitting in for a sensor well to read temps but I haven't taken the time yet to match a sensor to a guage? Off and on I build commercial solar water systems that come with small drop in OHM well sensors that are matched to a specific controller. But it is 120v and a lot more than needed to read temps unless I end up wanting to read 10-15 points at the same time?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
Bus Geek

my dash already has a gauge so I need to match the sensor to the factory.. its a toss up as to whether its a 3k or 10k or 20k thermistor type sensor... the hottest fluid will be at the line leaving for the stock cooler.. however measuring at the pan you just take into account a possible drop in temperature.. somewhere ive seen a chart that is meant for torque converter temp vs pan temp as far as acceptable levels.. i thought I saved it.. i'll have to look for it. it will give me a baseline..

I dont have time to yank the dash out today to see if i can find the wiring for the gauge... it doesnrt appear it goes through the PCM.. I cant find any reading in the computer for it.. the transmission is programmed up as a manual control allison AT / MT meaning the PCM doesnt touch it... in fact it doesnt even use the PCM for the kickdown on the mudulator.. theres a switch on the accelerator pedal and a relay that trips the kickdown...
-Christopher