Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Basic 7.3L IDI

This is a very basic engine and requires little repair. This is not a high power engine but power can be improved in several methods. My Blue Bird/Int bus runs excellent except for the low power. Adding either propane or water/alcohol will increase power and economy. The fuel pump quantity can also be increased by turning a 5/32 allen screw on the pump. The pump timing is very important and most engines are not properly set. Too early or late pump timing if bad. The best method of making more power is with the addition of a turbo charger from many Ford trucks. With a tgurbo added, the muffler can be removed for a bit more power. If there is any interest, the tips will be posted........... Frank

frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Basic 7.3L IDI

Diesel timing is something I understand the theory of, but have absolutely no experienec actually doing. What can you tell us about that, Frank?
Old 11-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id
Adding either propane or water/alcohol will increase power and economy.
Interesting! How does one add propane or water/alcohol? Is it an add-on kit? Or something that's added to the fuel?
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

I'm looking at a bus with a 7.3L IDI International (1986 conventional style), though don't have any other info on it yet--Still waiting for the guy to respond or gimme a time to phone for more info. Info is greatly appreciated.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

My Ford F250 has this engine, and I like it because it has mechanical fuel injection. I've been told however that the rotary injection pump is not as good as the inline pumps you find on the Cummins 5.9 or the DT360 and DT466. In fact I got the DT466 on my bus for that reason. Plus I will be converting to WVO and running biodiesel, and I don't think the rotary pump on the 7.3 likes that so much. I talked to a guy who ran cold WVO through the Bosch inline pump with no problem, but destroyed the Stanadyne rotary pump doing the same thing. Granted, you should never run cold WVO, but still it's a testament to the durability of the inline Bosch pumps. The old Mercedes diesels also have these pumps and are very tollerant of alternative fuels. Sorry if I'm getting off topic here...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: International
Engine: 366 GM big block

Anyone who runs a 7.3L IDI in anything should be aware of cavitation issues that can ruin the engine and these engines are especially vulnerable. Make sure you run diesel antifreeze or use the special additive available from Ford or International. If you own one of these I would highly recomend joining the oilburners.net site and read the tech article on this. Don't get me wrong, I love these engines - I just don't want to see people ruin these by using the wrong antifreeze.
npeace is offline   Reply With Quote