Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #1

Belt Fan

Hello, I think I'm in the right Forum category.
I have a 2004 Thomas International CE300 with a DT466.
The belt came loose after a mishap with the compressor belt. I am unsure of the belt routing, I think I have it right, but I need to actually put it on, right now it's too tight to fully install. I have seen youtube videos on how to install the belt, but it wasn't specific enough to my engine, so it's honestly just confusing. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
20211031_130327.jpg   20211031_130310.jpg   20211031_130336.jpg  

vbracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
I Googled this;

2004 Thomas International CE300 with a DT466 serpentine belt routing

and got a page of diagrams. The results pulled a lot of diagrams for a variety of manufacturer's vehicles so whether one of them is a match for your engine is unknown you'll have to look through them, hopefully you'll get lucky. I have a 2004 IC CE200 with the 7.3 and when I wanted to put a new serpentine on I realized I couldn't figure it out. I found the info I needed this way.

Not trying to be insulting but . . . you realize the tensioner has a square socket in its mount to allow you to rotate it to allow the belt to fit over the pulleys?

BTW, did you check all your pulleys? When I changed my belt I discovered 2 idler pulleys with bad bearings. For $20 or so per idler I was able to rebuild them. I hate to think what might have happened if I hadn't checked them.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
I Googled this;

2004 Thomas International CE300 with a DT466 serpentine belt routing

and got a page of diagrams. Whether one of them is a match for your engine is unknown because there might be accessories on the front of your engine I can't see.

Not trying to be insulting but . . . you realize the tensioner has a square socket in its mount to allow you to rotate it to allow the belt to fit over the pulleys?
You're not being insulting, I thought that might have something to do with how to get the job done, I just wasn't confident about it. I'll look into this further, it's helpful to know simple basic stuff like how that's a square socket blah blah, so thank you.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:09 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbracken View Post
You're not being insulting, I thought that might have something to do with how to get the job done, I just wasn't confident about it. I'll look into this further, it's helpful to know simple basic stuff like how that's a square socket blah blah, so thank you.
You just stick your 3/8" ratchet's square drive into it, don't need a socket of any kind. It'll probably be easier to do with a short extension on the ratchet.

Look at my post again, I edited it to add more 'stuff'.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
BTW, did you check all your pulleys? When I changed my belt I discovered 2 idler pulleys with bad bearings. For $20 or so per idler I was able to rebuild them. I hate to think what might have happened if I hadn't checked them.
No I haven't checked them, I'm glad I posted, wouldn't have thought of it.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:18 PM   #6

Alright that all makes sense, I saw a video demoing doing this, just with a different engine so now it's all coming together. appreciate the reply.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I took a closer look at your pictures. Is the belt in the pictures the old one? Are you replacing it? If yes, carry on.

If no, I'd suggest you take a better look at it. I think I can see longitudinal lines along the inside of the belt (meaning the side toward the engine). Mine was like that, or I should say what was left of mine was like that. The belt was worn enough that it had started coming apart around the circumference and falling off. I noted those same lines on the smooth side of the belt and it appears they were caused by the ribs on the pulleys wearing into the carcass of the belt and cutting through it - BAD JU JU.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:23 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Nothing wrong with that belt, use it. You can see the square drive hole in the blue housing of the idler pulley. Put your wrench in and turn it clockwise off the belt, slide the belt over the alternator and release the tensioner.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:26 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
They make a serpentine belt tool for this job. It's low profile with a long handle that makes it easier to compress the spring loaded tensioner, then a ratchet. And it gives you more clocking options then a breaker bar.

This is similar to one of the ones we have in the shop.

https://www.amazon.com/Fairmount-Too...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If you don't want to buy it, I believe autozone has one for rent. You purchase it with a card, use it, then return it and no fee is charged.

Tags
belt, dt466, international ce300