Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 25,500
bendix compressor air dryer

I developed an oil leak in my tu-flo 550. While researching it I found that the air dryer should be serviced. I'm thinking that it could cause excessive pressure causing a weak seal or gasket to leak. I would appreciate any thoughts on that. Whether that's correct or not I do need to service the dryer. Except I can't find it or don't know what I'm looking for. The main air line from the compressor runs directly to the main reservoir under the bus. 97 carpenter international 3800 t444e. Where is the air dryer? What does it look like? The diagrams I've found show it somewhere between the compressor and tank but it's not there. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Studedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
I'm learning this stuff myself, so stand by for brighter minds, but AFAIK, the air dryer, if present, should be inline between the compressor's main discharge line and your wet tank (or the 'wet' portion of a combined tank). It's certainly possible you don't have one, either because it was never included in your original configuration, or was bypassed by a previous owner.

I don't have the experience to comment on the possibility of back-pressure from an air dryer causing compressor issues. But in regards to our air dryer - an AD-9 - I can't fathom how it could. The only way I see that happening is if the check valve at the output to the wet tank somehow came apart & components became lodged upstream. And if that somehow was to happen, you'd certainly have other brake-related failures.

My gut feel is that any compressor issues you may have are likely not related to anything downstream of the compressor. But again, I'm no expert.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote